PDA

View Full Version : SOS tank emerg. help please :(calgary area

Brighteyes_13
03-21-2008, 03:26 PM
sometime during the night my heater blew, woke up this morning to popping noise in the sump. luckily i unplugged it off before reaching in to see it.

it was shorting in the water for anywhere up to 10 hours... im really at a loss.

the only fish i see is my scopas, who is huddled face first in the rockwork breathing heavily, i dont see my clowns or my coral beauty, the lights have been on now for 20 mins. the xenia is slumped over and not fully extended, and the anem is shriveled densely, still responds to light but hasnt reinflated. the skimmer is going beserk, filling the cup every 10 seconds. the only thing still wandering around as if nothings wrong are the inverts... snails and hermits all normal.

salt is mixing for an emergency change, but i dont have any carbon to run. im at a complete loss as to what to do, its a holiday so i dont think i can get any from the store.

somebody help please, i think im loosing the entire tank.

digital-audiophile
03-21-2008, 03:30 PM
What did the temp get to? Electrical current in the tank you think?

Not sure if any of the SW stores are open but the petland type stores should be open, even wallmart has carbon I would think.

Brighteyes_13
03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
temp went from around 79 to 76. im certain there was current in the tank as when i looked in the sump, i would see the orange light indicating the heater was turnin on then a loud pop noise and nothing, the water in the sump looks awful.

digital-audiophile
03-21-2008, 03:38 PM
It may not be a bad idea to get the livestock out of the tank and into buckets with fresh salt water and a something for aeration.

Brighteyes_13
03-21-2008, 03:39 PM
i cant find the livestock... the only ones visible are the scopas and the anem... but yeah, maybe i'll move them first and mix a new salt batch for a new waterchange

digital-audiophile
03-21-2008, 03:40 PM
It's nasty work but you may want to pull out your rocks to see if you can find the other fish?

fencer
03-21-2008, 03:45 PM
I agree with Greg. If you can't get the fish out of the tank. Do at least a water change and reestablish water flow in the tank.

Brighteyes_13
03-21-2008, 03:51 PM
2 buckets of saltwater mixing for waterchange and emergency evacuation.

im just not equiped to deal with this kind of emergency.... if i do loose everything it will be a big lesson for next time, i just wish i didnt have to happen

ElGuappo
03-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Riverfront is open til 5 today. if you need to get carbon .

Good Luck :cry: sorry to hear of this

Snappy
03-21-2008, 04:13 PM
I am sure most of the stores will be open after 11 today

BMW Rider
I had the same thing happen once, eveything survived but the tank was a mess for a week or two afterwards. I now use a ground probe in my tanks and GFI plugs for power. Hopefully you don't lose any livestock.

If you need carbon and can't find any to buy, I do have a bucket of it here.

hillbillyreefer
If you can't make enough ro water fast enough, stop in and pick a couple bottles of ro water at the store. That will give you a little breathing room for water change water.

Good luck, situations like that suck. Keep us posted lots of help on here.

Brighteyes_13
03-21-2008, 04:56 PM
the tank is looking like a 75% fish loss... 2 clownfish gone, one dead one unacounted for after moving all the liverock. 1 coral beauty gone, anemone is probably on its way out.

the only survivors are the scopas tang, the xenia and the yellow polyps and all the cleanup crew.

i think it might be best if i get rid of the scopas, and let the tank recover. if the anem makes it great, but that way there will be no more losses.

michika
03-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Where in Calgary are you? I have some carbon you can have, and I can make you up a few gallons of water.

Zylumn
03-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Just noticed this thread Sorry to hear about your tank. Is there anything you need help with? I live in the NW.
Kevin

Brighteyes_13
03-21-2008, 05:24 PM
im in the south, off heritage.

the scopas is going to a good home

i think i'll be leaving the tank unstocked for a while.

use the time to move to the 90g finally.

thank you everyone for your fast response. i only wish there was more to save.

Glennrf38
03-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Just an update. He's up and swimming around and seems to be getting some of his colour back. Will keep everyone updated.

Brighteyes_13
03-21-2008, 08:19 PM
thanks for helping me out Glenn, im glad he made it through the trip

Glennrf38
03-21-2008, 08:21 PM
No problem. I'll keep you apaised of the status. I have him in the sump now so that the other fish don't pick on him til he is stronger.

fishoholic
03-21-2008, 11:40 PM
That sucks! Good luck with the recovery of whats left.

fencer
03-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Sorry that you have to rebuild your system. You might want to add a GFI powerbar or install a GFI outlet so if something like that heater blows out or anything electrical shorts( in my case water spilled on the floor and shorted out a heater). GFI shuts you down.

Glennrf38
03-22-2008, 12:20 AM
He is now in the main tank. I had to send my yellow tang to his room cuz he was picking on him.http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s100/Glennrf38/peeking.jpg

Brighteyes_13
03-23-2008, 07:46 PM
well as of this morning, i have one anenome, looking a little pale, but beginning to reinflate, and a bunch of burnt/bleached looking gsp, alot of bleached and droopy xenia, and amazingly a little colony of yellow polyps that finally opened back up today. the water is clear looking again, and i am noticing it looks like another cycle... diatom bloom on the sand. life is returning somewhat to normal.

the tank has 2 months untill im out of school and back to work. at that time i will be able to put more money into it and maybe bring a bit more life to it, but for now, im content to watch a new cycle and keep my fingers crossed for the bta.

Der_Iron_Chef
03-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Good luck and sorry to hear about your losses :s At least you weren't electrocuted....

Glennrf38
03-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Coleen: Let me know if you want your baby back. No problem returning him to you :)