PDA

View Full Version : Sump question

Treebeard
03-21-2008, 03:18 PM
I am planning on building a sump from a 20 gallon glass tank. The current setup consists of a 46 gallon bf tank, Seaclone protein skimmer and an Eheim 2026 canister filter. I will put the skimmer in the sump, but I am not sure what to do with the filter, or even if I really need it? Should I run the filter in the sump?

Any other advice before I start this job would be greatly appreciated!

AaronG
03-21-2008, 03:25 PM
lots of ppl favor filter socks(i do and microbubbles dont exist for me plus there washable
but the whole point of a sump is to act like a big canister filter with all the goodies built in and easy to axcess

Treebeard
03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
That's what I was thinking because I don't see much talk of anyone using canister filters. I have live sand in my tank, so perhaps I should move a few pound into the sump? But if I do away with the canister filter, how does one use carbon and purigen, etc.?

lots of ppl favor filter socks(i do and microbubbles dont exist for me plus there washable
but the whole point of a sump is to act like a big canister filter with all the goodies built in and easy to axcess

digital-audiophile
03-21-2008, 03:39 PM
You can use carbon passive in a bag in your sump and knead it to keep it clear. You could also use it in a fluidized manner through the use of a phosban reactor.

Treebeard
03-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Is a 300 gallon overflow sufficient? I will likely use pvc for the drain and return, is 1" large enough"

hecks220
03-27-2008, 06:19 AM
I have the exact setup as you...i run only a 3/4 overflow with a 1/2 return from a mag 7. my overflow is rated bigger at 500-600, using about 400 of it minus the friction and elevation loss. phosban reactors off the sump are done with filter floss keeping the phosban and purigen contained,built in algae refugium with miracle mud too and filter sock as well off the return...good luck

Treebeard
03-27-2008, 12:24 PM
I changed my mind on the 20 gallon sump and ordered a 55 gallon acrylic from Golds. From now on, any equipment purchases will be sized for a future larger tank.

michika
03-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Did you order just a sump or a sump with a refugium compartment? If you have space for a refugium that is where I would be putting sand and macro algae.

Treebeard
03-27-2008, 03:16 PM
It is only a sump, but it should be large enough to add a refugium later which I hope to do.