PDA

View Full Version : Wow! my 8 inch Deresa just spawned tonight...

aussiefishy
03-21-2008, 05:53 AM
this is one of a lifetime oppotunity to see a clam spawn in person, especially when your clam spawned in appreciation of your consistent hard work in keeping them in pristine condition... or telling you they are very close to dying in your care.. haha

either way, it is still a scene i will remember for a long time.

luckily enough all my other clams are not spawning at the same time or else my tank will not have time to be able to cope with the waste.

i think what triggered it was the larger-than-usual water change i did tonight... 40 gallon?

just want to share this with all of you.

Myka
03-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Awesome!! Did you get any pics?

Keep an eye on your parameters....you may need to do a large waterchange.

Skimmerking
03-22-2008, 10:16 AM
this is one of a lifetime oppotunity to see a clam spawn in person, especially when your clam spawned in appreciation of your consistent hard work in keeping them in pristine condition... or telling you they are very close to dying in your care.. haha

either way, it is still a scene i will remember for a long time.

luckily enough all my other clams are not spawning at the same time or else my tank will not have time to be able to cope with the waste.

i think what triggered it was the larger-than-usual water change i did tonight... 40 gallon?

just want to share this with all of you.

Congrats Eric, I hope that my 5 derasa's start to spawn, or not that would make a awful mess in my tank.......

jvision
03-22-2008, 02:30 PM
It was probably triggered by a combo of your WC and the fact that it's spring Equinox w. a full moon. The moon has a funny affect on sea critters.

Skimmerking
03-22-2008, 05:14 PM
they say that the live stock can feel when its going to be a Full moon or if there is a change in the weather, weird

aussiefishy
03-24-2008, 05:58 PM
i am scared to do another water change...

my tank is so heavy stocked that i need to change more water to keep the nutrient level down... should i try another 40-50 gallon change??

yeah, luckily the clam seems fine and water quality is still good after the spawn, i will keep my digital cam close to my tank now so i can capture these special moments when they appear!

i am sure they can "feel" the moon, and surely if the clam seems fine after the spawn, i guess i must have doing something right for my tank... haha.!

thanks all,