PDA

View Full Version : Cheap, drillable sump

bassman
03-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this so here it sits.

I just wanted to share one option with any others that may be looking for a large, cheap, DRILLABLE sump. Or those that may live in a area without any local tank builders, such as myself.

I recently purchased a new 100 gal water storage tank and I couldn't be happier. It was only $200 and it works great.

I got mine here from...http://www.canwest-tanks.com/index.html

They shipped it over night via greyhound which cost me $35.00 (Surrey,BC-Quesnel,BC)

Delphinus
03-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Looks like a great option, should work well to keep salt creep at bay too. :)

One question though, is the back porthole the only access into the tank? The one drawback I maybe see is that inevitably you'll want to clean the inside of it or need to rescue a fish that rides the overflow waterslide, and it might be a bit of a hassle then? Unless there's another way in.

bassman
03-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Looks like a great option, should work well to keep salt creep at bay too. :)

One question though, is the back porthole the only access into the tank? The one drawback I maybe see is that inevitably you'll want to clean the inside of it or need to rescue a fish that rides the overflow waterslide, and it might be a bit of a hassle then? Unless there's another way in.

It only comes with one hole, 6" in dia. I think. I cut out two rectangular openings on either side, leaving the center hole and support intact. I discussed this with the manufacturer and it is 100% safe as long as you leave the center strip.
I think the openings are 11" x 18" each so I have plenty of room to get inside. I actually hand washed every square inch inside before filling it so I know nothing will be out of reach. This is one reason I picked this specific tank. The others get too deep. I knew I would have to install a bulkhead so I made sure I would be able to reach in far enough.

We ran into this problem at work one day, we ended up just stuffing the smallest guy in the shop in head first. LOL Mind you the opening on those are probably 10-12" in dia.

skylord
03-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Ok you got my attention. Is you tank bowing at all? If I am looking at their page right you have the 120g US or 100g Imperial tank. How much water do you have in it? Half full or? Did you drill it to put a bulkhead in for an external pump?

Scott

bassman
03-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Ok you got my attention. Is you tank bowing at all? If I am looking at their page right you have the 120g US or 100g Imperial tank. How much water do you have in it? Half full or? Did you drill it to put a bulkhead in for an external pump?

Scott

It bows approx. 2 inches in the front which is totally normal. It would probably bow less if I didn't have it against the wall, then it could expand in both directions. They told me that they have never had one of these fail.

I have it filled to the 120g US / 100 Imperial mark which leaves still leaves another 8" before it's full. 120 is enough for me, I am sure it's not meant to hold more then that.

Yes I did drill it myself, they can do it for you too but I wasn't sure where I was putting my pump yet. It was very easy to drill just make sure you get it right the first time. LOL

skylord
03-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks Bassman.....this may just solve my sump issues.

Scott

bassman
03-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks Bassman.....this may just solve my sump issues.

Scott

I hope so, glad to help.

If you need any help with anything else let me know. I have made a water top off for it using a humidifier float without drilling any holes in it. I also made a "powerhead" so to speak to move the surface of the water, also no holes required.