PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Sunset Monti

atcguy
03-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Must be in lowermainland area for pickup, dont really want to deal with shipping. Seeking a frag at a good price. always wanted this frag, tough to find but I just want one. Please PM if you have any or know of where I can get some locally.
Thanks fellow reefers

mildcustom2
03-19-2008, 09:17 PM
I have one arriving from fragalot tommorow. If you can wait a couple months I'll have a frag available more than likely. It grows extremely fast. I have a purple encrusting monti in my tank that started as a little 1/4" frag 2 months ago and is now easily 2" in dia. Montipora is my most favorite sps and I'll definitely be adding every color vairiation to my tank in the next couple of months. Jussssttt cannnn't getttttt enoughhhhh spssssss corals :mrgreen:.

wickedfrags
03-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I recall your thread looking for this before. What happened as a result of this thread? http://http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37589&highlight=sunset

Did you not have any luck finding the one you were looking for, or did the frag not work out?

Must be in lowermainland area for pickup, dont really want to deal with shipping. Seeking a frag at a good price. always wanted this frag, tough to find but I just want one. Please PM if you have any or know of where I can get some locally.
Thanks fellow reefers

atcguy
03-20-2008, 06:11 PM
I was a little worried with the pic on fragalot at the time. Let me know how it looks in your tank. I dont think it was the real deal based on the pic. just my 2 cents!!!! I want the bright bright orange with florecent green polyps.
thanks Let me know

mildcustom2
03-21-2008, 06:48 AM
I was a little worried with the pic on fragalot at the time. Let me know how it looks in your tank. I dont think it was the real deal based on the pic. just my 2 cents!!!! I want the bright bright orange with florecent green polyps.
thanks Let me know

When it comes to ordering frags you always have to remember that you are buying a piece of the original colony and it may not necessarily be a vivid as the mother colony pictured (it is new growth and not colored up yet), but I know that when it starts to grow it will turn into that spectacular piece pictured on the web page. Having said this, am I happy with what I recieved from Frag a Lot ? Of course I am, he delivered what he advertised and even a little bit more than expected. The piece of sunset monti I recieved was easily bigger than described on his web page:biggrin:, half the frag is bright orange with bright green polyps and the other half wich is obviously new growth is a little duller with bright green polyps. Highly recommend that if you are craving this frag you order from Frag a Lot.

Next month I plan on placing an order with Wicked Frags to see what kind of awesome pieces I can pick up from him (looking for a variety of different colored torts, hint,hint):mrgreen:. Heck I just may need to place an order with both, Can't get enough frags at this point and its really hard to find really nice, rare, high quality pieces in B.C..

Thanx

Sean

wickedfrags
03-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Hey Sean - why would you say this??? Sounds like an excuse for poorly coloured corals or inaccurate photographs (if you received a pic when you ordered), or maybe both.

Is it not fair to receive what is illustrated? After all, the difference between corals and great corals is usually the colour. IMO (and IME), a buyer should be more concerned with keeping the great colour rather rather than wondering what it may look like in time.

When it comes to ordering frags you always have to remember that you are buying a piece of the original colony and it may not necessarily be a vivid as the mother colony pictured (it is new growth and not colored up yet), but I know that when it starts to grow it will turn into that spectacular piece pictured on the web page.

fragalot
03-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Thank you Sean :) Good to hear that you are happy with your order ;)

atcguy
03-21-2008, 02:59 PM
pm sent to wicked frags...

tang daddy
03-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Is it not fair to receive what is illustrated? After all, the difference between corals and great corals is usually the colour. IMO (and IME), a buyer should be more concerned with keeping the great colour rather rather than wondering what it may look like in time.[/quote]

This is what one would precieve when justifying spending hundreds of dollars, atleast I would expect nothing more than unreal colours if a frag of 1/2in in size costs anywhere upwards of 80bucks.

mildcustom2
03-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Hey Sean - why would you say this??? Sounds like an excuse for poorly coloured corals or inaccurate photographs (if you received a pic when you ordered), or maybe both.

Is it not fair to receive what is illustrated? After all, the difference between corals and great corals is usually the colour. IMO (and IME), a buyer should be more concerned with keeping the great colour rather rather than wondering what it may look like in time.

I say this because when I frag my sps corals they are always from new growth. Example, I fragged my hot pink milli a couple weeks ago. The piece I took from the mother colony was new growth and not quite colored up yet, pretty white by comparison. True most corals maintain their color as they grow, Example monti digitata and various acros but this is not always the case with sps corals. My self I like to keep my frags after I cut them untill they start growing and color up but this is not always the case with some people. When I look at most peoples web pages with frags for sale they almost always show a picture of the spectacular mother colony and never what the actual frag looks like so you need to prepare yourself for the fact that you have to grow your frag into what is pictured. Its like saying that when I buy a couple seeds from a beautiful orchid it should look just like the mother plant when I buy them, never going to happen.

Hold on a minute, I'll quit my rambling, this sounds like a challenge:lol:. In a couple of weeks I'm willing to put my money up to this challenge and we'll see what you can deliver :biggrin:. And I'll post an honest reply as to what I think of what you can deliver, I'm pretty confident that I will not be dispointed either from what I have heard from other people about your quality. I will however not compare vendors as everyone has there own standards and methods and as long as they meet or exceed my expectations they are OK with me. If I have a bad experience with a vendor I will just not post anything as this isn't fair to them based on an individual experience, unless I'm disappointed several times then its pretty obvious.

Everyone has there own opinion and I would love to hear from them on this subject. Nothing beats a good healthy conversation/debate. Any words from Coral Master on this subject as I plan on ordering from you in the future too.

Thanx

Sean

wickedfrags
03-21-2008, 06:14 PM
There are many methods to fragging corals that is for sure, and the scenario you presented makes sense. That being said, above Tang Daddy makes a good point (as a potential customer), and many people would agree.

I have no difficulty discussing methods and procedures with anyone and at any time. And I agree, the intent is not to compare vendors.

I say this because when I frag my sps corals they are always from new growth. Example, I fragged my hot pink milli a couple weeks ago. The piece I took from the mother colony was new growth and not quite colored up yet, pretty white by comparison. True most corals maintain their color as they grow, Example monti digitata and various acros but this is not always the case with sps corals. My self I like to keep my frags after I cut them untill they start growing and color up but this is not always the case with some people. When I look at most peoples web pages with frags for sale they almost always show a picture of the spectacular mother colony and never what the actual frag looks like so you need to prepare yourself for the fact that you have to grow your frag into what is pictured. Its like saying that when I buy a couple seeds from a beautiful orchid it should look just like the mother plant when I buy them, never going to happen.

Hold on a minute, I'll quit my rambling, this sounds like a challenge:lol:. In a couple of weeks I'm willing to put my money up to this challenge and we'll see what you can deliver :biggrin:. And I'll post an honest reply as to what I think of what you can deliver, I'm pretty confident that I will not be dispointed either from what I have heard from other people about your quality. I will however not compare vendors as everyone has there own standards and methods and as long as they meet or exceed my expectations they are OK with me. If I have a bad experience with a vendor I will just not post anything as this isn't fair to them based on an individual experience, unless I'm disappointed several times then its pretty obvious.

Everyone has there own opinion and I would love to hear from them on this subject. Nothing beats a good healthy conversation/debate. Any words from Coral Master on this subject as I plan on ordering from you in the future too.

Thanx

Sean

mildcustom2
03-22-2008, 11:45 PM
For those that sent me pm's asking for pics of some of the frags I ordered from Frag A Lot. Here they are. All pics were taken under a 14K 250w Phoenix bulb in my frag tank. Sorry but its hard to take pics in my frag tank with the nasty glare of the light.

Sunset Monti

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj246/mildcustom2/My_reef_tank_March_22-08_005.jpg

Poker Star Monti

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj246/mildcustom2/My_reef_tank_March_22-08_018.jpg

Thanx

Sean

tang daddy
03-23-2008, 02:13 AM
lookin good!

atcguy
03-29-2008, 04:25 AM
just my opinion , i dont think thats the sunset monti I was looking for.....

Atomikk
03-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Sorry to say, but that is not the sunset montipora that the original poster was looking for. The sunset montipora has flourescent green polyps, and the base is yellow to orange. The picture represents a nice montipora colony, but it is not sunset.

http://www.reeffarmers.com/limitedleptastreasunset.htm

Is the original monti.

Now if the polyps do come out and they are that flourescent, then you do have the original sunset.

HTH

mildcustom2
03-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Sorry to say, but that is not the sunset montipora that the original poster was looking for. The sunset montipora has flourescent green polyps, and the base is yellow to orange. The picture represents a nice montipora colony, but it is not sunset.

http://www.reeffarmers.com/limitedleptastreasunset.htm

Is the original monti.

Now if the polyps do come out and they are that flourescent, then you do have the original sunset.

HTH

The polyps are flourescent green when they come out. Perhaps it would look alot better if the pic was taken under a 20K bulb like on the Frag a Lot web page instead of my 14K. I should also mention that in the pic I posted it was in my frag tank wich has no actinic lighting just metal halide.

CLINT
03-30-2008, 04:41 PM
I have a pic of my PPE frag that makes it look brown but that doesnt change the fact that its a PPE frag.Some people spend a lot of time to make things look better than they are.Not to mention that most corals change color a bit with different lighting.JMO and I hope you find what your looking for Clint