PDA

View Full Version : refugium

fiorano
03-18-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm building a 20 gal refugium above my sump and i just anted to know what you guys all suggest to put in it and what kind of light to use?

mseepman
03-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Use some form of 6700k light...Coralife has a little one at J&L for about $28 that would work well (freshwater aqualight mini). Most people tend to use Chaeto as it's easy to grow, does a good job removing nutrients and is relatively easy to maintain.

Hope that gives you a start.

mark
03-19-2008, 02:18 AM
Have a 20g above my sump as well (picture (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/Ch_ref.jpg)).

With LR have mostly chaeto but some Halimeda and Grape Caulerpa. Though nitrates test as zero was going to put is a DSB for some diversity but now thinking to leave BB unless I add a filter sock. Reasoning is fuge is feed direct from display and do find getting a surprisingly lot a crud settling. Leaving BB allows me to siphon out fairly easily.

For light just using 27w PC quad. Grows the macro okay but not enough for mushrooms or polyps.

Link I had for the picture is dead but there was a Canreefer in Edmonton that had a window cut in the stand so the fuge was visible, thought was really neat. To expand on the idea, another thing I've seen in a fuge, since lower flow than the reef display, is having seahorses. Haven't really looked into but might be an issue with temperature.

mark
03-19-2008, 03:11 AM
and light is 6700K.

fiorano
03-21-2008, 12:41 AM
ok thanks guys :) that helps a lot and does that macro algae help at all ? cause i like the wayit looks to