PDA

View Full Version : New to reef...need some advice

CRAP! Another Hobby
03-18-2008, 04:52 AM
Howdy!

We just set up a 55 gal tank. Bought some LR from a local reefer (thanks Trix :lol: ) and aquired a protein skimmer. (we will be adding a sump soon)

I know from years of FW discus keeping that once some "mature" filter media is in the system, that there is minimal/no cycling time needed. Since all the SW and reef stuff is foreign to us, I could use some friendly advice.

How can I test if the LR is ready to accept a bio-load?

Is it sufficient to have 2 hagen 802 powerheads (400 gph each) for water movement? Do I need more water movement?

Any and all advice is welcome:biggrin:

mark
03-18-2008, 05:04 AM
Monitor your NH3/NO2/NO3 cycle. Just with the LR (no fish needed) watch for the spike and drops to 0.0, after then can slowly start adding. If too much too soon can cause anyother cycle.

Found when I setup my 75g took about 3 weeks.

Pumps, depends what type of tank you're going for, could be lots already. Also to consider the added flow once you add your sump.

Marlin65
03-18-2008, 05:20 AM
Take it slow reefs take at least a year to become mature. About 3 months to fully cycle you can try sooner but may run into problems.
Depending on what you want to put in your tank will determine your flow.
SPS need lots but seahorses want very little.
If you want to run a reef you will want to get a sump just makes it easier to filter and add things.
When you get coraline spots on your overflow the size of dimes you can add corals.
This is just my 2 cents though some might not agree. :wink:

banditpowdercoat
03-18-2008, 05:39 AM
Been cycling my tank since 22 feb. 45g, 40Lb LR. 40Lb live Sand. Put 24 hermits in @ 2 weeks. Levels are almost down to 0. I have learned/read that alot depends on the amount of die off on your rock. If the rock was out of water along time, there will be more die off, this will take longer for tank to cycle. I will be adding fish end of next week. need to resist urge to add alot, JL is 5 hrs away. Hopefully Royal Gramma, bangaii Cardinal, a goby and longnose butterflyfish. Pair of Clowns later

CRAP! Another Hobby
03-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone :biggrin:

FYI...the LR was out of water for only 2 hours. Would it still take a few weeks for it to be ready?

michika
03-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Its not so much a set time in weeks, as its more when your levels drop to 0. Since your live rock is older and it wasn't out of the water that long, it could be a very quick cycle, a few weeks, or it could be longer.

Track your parameters for a week and watch the trend. Post them here if you want. You can also start a tank journal for more feedback.

ElGuappo
03-18-2008, 03:16 PM
My (first) reef tank is now 7 monthes old and i am now finally at levels that are good like undetectable phos Nit and such it this long for my tank. hoever i stockedt too early and had a bad ntite spike and later a phos spike. the nitite i believe was due to my sifting to much sand during a rockscape change.

Marlin65
03-18-2008, 03:45 PM
If you used all cured rock out of someones tank and depending on how much you will need to wait for your glass and rest of your stuff to become live. (bacteria attached to it)
You might have no noticeable cycle. Just don't add a lot of stuff at ones.
Only bad things happen fast in this hobby.
Have a picture?

Myka
03-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Since your rock was previously used in another tank, and was only out of the water for a couple hours you will likely get very little cycle, and it may be over in just a few days.

Since you are very new to this hobby if you answer some questions and post a photo of your tank we can you get off on the right foot. :)

What are the current water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature, salinity)
What brand of test kits are you using? How old are they?
Are you using a float arm hydrometer or a refractometer to test salinity?
How often do you test salinity?
Is the sand new or did you get that from another reefer too?
What kind of fish, corals, and critters would you like to keep in your tank?

CRAP! Another Hobby
03-19-2008, 05:12 AM
Since your rock was previously used in another tank, and was only out of the water for a couple hours you will likely get very little cycle, and it may be over in just a few days.

Since you are very new to this hobby if you answer some questions and post a photo of your tank we can you get off on the right foot. :)

What are the current water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature, salinity)
What brand of test kits are you using? How old are they?
Are you using a float arm hydrometer or a refractometer to test salinity?
How often do you test salinity?
Is the sand new or did you get that from another reefer too?
What kind of fish, corals, and critters would you like to keep in your tank?

Thanks again for all the great input :biggrin:

To answer some of your q's...
-params = NH3 is 0; NO2/NO3 no detectable levels; 8.5 pH; salinity 1.023
-Test kit is a NUTRAFIN Master test kit...few months old
-Testing salinity in AM and PM...top up of RO/DI in PM
- Float arm hydrometer (saving up for a refract)
- No sand...just LR for now...got it from another reefer.
- No special lighting (yet)...still searching for a deal on used lights.
- Still researching the fish and what-nots for inhabitants :idea:ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A BEGINNER REEFER IS GREATLY WELCOME REGARDING THIS :idea:

But speaking of critters...some hitchhikers that we aquired are showing. Looks like dried strands of spaghetti (same size...all under a few inches long) with an orange feathery "thing" coming out the end of the tube. It quickly retracts into the tube as soon as I cast a shadow over it. We don't know if it is a good critter or a pest. ALSO...have a number of critters that are about 2-3 mm long running all over the place. Clear appearance...kinda look like little shrimps. :lol:

I'll post some pics later this week.

ElGuappo
03-19-2008, 05:16 AM
The shrimp looking things are Copapods? not sure how to spell but they are good. anatureal food source for fish. my rusty angel has just about cleared mine out when i droped my feeding amount.(now my ph is undetectable)

VFX
03-19-2008, 05:23 AM
But speaking of critters...some hitchhikers that we aquired are showing. Looks like dried strands of spaghetti (same size...all under a few inches long) with an orange feathery "thing" coming out the end of the tube. It quickly retracts into the tube as soon as I cast a shadow over it. We don't know if it is a good critter or a pest. ALSO...have a number of critters that are about 2-3 mm long running all over the place. Clear appearance...kinda look like little shrimps. :lol:

I'll post some pics later this week.

Congrats!

Sounds like you have some Feather Dusters (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/feather.htm) & some pods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphipod) :)

CRAP! Another Hobby
03-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Congrats!

Sounds like you have some Feather Dusters (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/feather.htm) & some pods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphipod) :)

:biggrin::lol::biggrin::lol: So now what do I do?! LOL Just let them be until I add some other life forms into my tank?

michika
03-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Yup, they are harmless, just let them be. If they get out of control, you can peel them off the rocks, or some fish naturally like to eat them.

Marlin65
03-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Your critters are fine worms are good and the clear shrimp are probally pods.

Marlin65
03-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Copper banded will eat the feather dusters.