PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Damsel & Clown to Co-Exist

MMAX
03-17-2008, 08:15 PM
I have a 20 gal tank and put in a yellowtail damsel. He was doing fine for a couple of weeks then I added a common clown about 1/2 the size of the damsel. It didn't take very long for the damsel to start beating on the little guy. Since I paid more for the clown, I caged the damsel in a floating box. I'm considering returning the damsel, but if someone has a suggestion on what I could try it would be helpful. I realize a 20 gal tank is small and the damsel probably claimed the whole thing as "his". If I do have to return him, would adding another clown the same size as my first one be ok or would they fight as well?

Shipwreck
03-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Damsels are notorius bullys and will relentlessly attack anything. If you managed to catch the damsel, take it back to the store and give it away.

Pier Pressure
03-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Damsels and clowns come from the same family of fishes and I have heard that they may have some issues getting along.

I actually have a damsel who is trying to breed with my pair of clowns in a 28 gallon reef set up!

If you do decide to return him, and want to get another clown, I have read on this forum and others that the trick is to get another clown that is much smaller than the one you already have. I am sure you will get further advice from more knowledgeable members.

MMAX
03-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Yeah that little bugger was a pain in the *** to catch. The clown I have right now is fairly small as it is, maybe a little more than an inch long. I haven't seen any for sale smaller than him.

Amante
03-17-2008, 09:01 PM
I have to clown fish and 2 Damsels. The damsels are twice as big as the clown fish and have never attacked them.. I guess i'm lucky.

Black Phantom
03-19-2008, 02:58 PM
I've got two yellow tails in my big tank and they jump anything that comes by. Including me:mrgreen: Little bugger scares the heck out of me when I put my hand in the tank to clean.
Maybe someone will trade you for something less aggressive.

ElGuappo
03-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah that little bugger was a pain in the *** to catch. The clown I have right now is fairly small as it is, maybe a little more than an inch long. I haven't seen any for sale smaller than him.

riverfront had half inch true perks and occes in last week.

MMAX
03-20-2008, 01:13 AM
He's gone, I took him back today.

edikpok
04-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I have a devil damsel and a clownfish in the same tank, along with other fish. Ironically, my clownfish chases the damsel every once in a while (but doesn't hurt it nor catches it as the damsel is much faster). BUT - when I put my hand into the tank to clean it, the devil guy attacks me :)