PDA

View Full Version : New Tank: Advice on moving...

hummer
03-17-2008, 02:46 PM
I'll be taking possession of my house in less than a month. I have 5 days to move out after I take possession. I am having a new tank built for my house. My new tank will be slightly larger with better equipment than my current setup. So hopefully my fish will love that. I want to be prepared for worst case (new tank not being ready before I give up my old house). I'm thinking that I can setup my old tank in the garage or basement while I wait for the new tank but I'm worried about moving it twice will cause chemicals in the water to spike and extra stress on the fish. Will my tank be ok to move twice in a short time frame or should I let it settle before moving it a second time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ElGuappo
03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
i am curious about this as well as i will be moving in the next 2 monthes hopefully. i have been told to make sure i keep the water that is from my tank to reuse in the setup. my LFS has told me they will lend me buckets if i need them. i have also bought 2 10 gallon buckets from totem for 6 bucks each with lid. they have a good seal and i have had no spills at all as i use one for my clean water for changes. my only concern is nitrite. as when i reorged my LR and sand i caused a huge nitrite spike that killed 2 cardinals and nearly everything else.

If you are going to move it twice then i would IMO keep substrate out until Tank is in the final place. but i am rather uneducated in this area.

digital-audiophile
03-17-2008, 04:07 PM
I've done two major tank moves in my reef keeping career.

The first was a major disaster :( -

40 Gallon tank I had running for a year in my condo when we bought a new house, the major problem was that We only had two days from taking possesion of the new house and having to get out of our condo, the move was done all in one day.

Basically I kept 90% of the water and transported it along with corals and fish all mixed in the buckets and the rock dry. Saved the sand and reused without cleaning. When at the house added sand rocks and dumped in water and added fish and coral.

Within 2 days all of my coral had RTN'ed.. SPS and LPS. My fish survived but battled a major ich outbreak.

This just about had me call it quits for the hobby but I kept the tank running and just did basic maintence for 6months with fish only.

My second tank move went much better but was planned out learning from my mistakes.

I was just switching tanks (old 90G to a new built 90G) But I only saved about 50% of the water and kept it heated and circulating in garbage pails, my live stock and coral were all kept in seperate heated aerated containers. I reused sand but rinsed it really well and added 2x as much in new sand as well.

The switch took two days but allowed me time to get the tank up and running with 50% & 50% new water and gave time for the "dust" to settle overnight before I reintroduced my livestock.

If you can get the new tank up and running first that is your best bet but the other option can be done but take your time and be carefull. Bag all your fish and coral seperate when you move them in this scenario.. thats a lesson I learned the hard way .. and when reusing sand and rock give them a good rinse first :)

PS - if you need a hand when doing the move please feel free to drop me a line and I would be happy to help.

hummer
03-17-2008, 04:43 PM
My current tank is bare bottom and so will my new tank. So I won't need to worry about stirring up the sand during the move. I'll be sure to rinse off the rocks with RO water before adding them in. Thanks. I'll also be picking up a rain barrel or rubber garbage can from Home Depot to store fresh filtered water just in case.

hummer
03-17-2008, 04:56 PM
I just came across this while looking for a rain barrel. In case anyone else is interested...

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Living/The+Environment/Water+and+Wastewater/Lawn+and+Garden/Rain+Barrels/Rain+Barrel+Sale.htm

Phanman
03-17-2008, 05:08 PM
how much are these regularly?

hummer
03-17-2008, 07:20 PM
how much are these regularly?

I'm not sure. But I found this thread while searching for that answer.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=310129

I'll stop by Home Depot tonight and see if I can find out anything.

digital-audiophile
03-17-2008, 07:25 PM
They are the same price if you pick them up at the ecoo store (I just got one on the weekend) The only difference I was told was that you don't pay the GST at this sale.

They actually have a different barrel that I picked up, its the same barrel but with only one tap and minus the big hole with mesh cut in it. To me the upper tap is useless and without the hole cut, less sediment/dust etc to get into your makeup water.

digital-audiophile
03-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Home deopt looked at me sideways when I asked for one maybe it's just the one I went to? (130th & deerfoot)

ElGuappo
03-17-2008, 11:55 PM
keep your eyes open some people sell them privatly for as low as 30 . but who know the volume. Like i metioned before i just use 10G buckets to store my (fresh/Clean/New) Saltwater. cost me 6 bucks a peice with lids..

Puff
03-18-2008, 12:05 AM
ill be moving next near into my first place. im already starting to plan out the move!

im thinking of keeping a 35 gallon tank around and set that up with just water and leave it at my parents place. put the stuff from one tank in that tank, move the tank, reset it in the new place, then switch the stuff over. then do it with my other tank. hopefully that is a possibility when the time comes!

hummer
03-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Home deopt looked at me sideways when I asked for one maybe it's just the one I went to? (130th & deerfoot)

I couldn't find any in the NW Sarcee location. Couldn't find anyone free to ask either.