PDA

View Full Version : Nick Of Time!

Keri
03-17-2008, 03:39 AM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii254/Keri1980/nickoftime.jpg

Talk about coming home in the nick of time! Damn thing was JUST starting to splutter out the top *shakes fist*

This skimmer and I...we are not friends. It has no reason to have so much gunk in it! It was FINE last night!

digital-audiophile
03-17-2008, 03:44 AM
You could drill a little line for an emergency drain from the skimmer if you want peace of mind :)

Keri
03-17-2008, 04:04 AM
You could drill a little line for an emergency drain from the skimmer if you want peace of mind :)

YOU are SMART! Do you think it would crack?
My husband usually cleans it (skimmer = blue job ;) ) every day or other day, and it's usually only a cm or three high, not sure why it suddenly went crazy tho there was some macro algae in the intake, might have affected it. (clean now) Thanks for the idea!

danny zubot
03-17-2008, 04:56 AM
The skimmate looks pretty dark, what kind of skimmer is it? It seams to work well.

Snappy
03-17-2008, 05:39 AM
I modified my skimmer with a drain and it saves a lot of grief if you forget to check it.

mark
03-17-2008, 02:05 PM
The cup might crack if your not careful.

I got a used CSS65 that was already drilled (crack included).

Keri
03-18-2008, 02:29 AM
The skimmate looks pretty dark, what kind of skimmer is it? It seams to work well.

Coralife SS 65. I less-than love it but it's really the only one I've had experience with. Tho, WHEN it works, it works, y'know?

KrazyKuch
03-18-2008, 04:50 AM
I have one of those kicking around and have found them to be very finicky sometimes you can let it go for a week and the cup will be half full so you empty it put it back on, wake up in the morning and it has overflowed back into the sump for half the night....I took it out and put in a Euroreef skimmer instead!!

DanG
03-18-2008, 04:39 PM
I would think that if you drill it properly, there's no reason for it crack. Go high speed and start with a smaller drill bit and work your way up to a larger bit.

Marlin65
03-18-2008, 11:09 PM
take the cutting edge off the drill on a grinder a bit. You want the bit to be dull when drilling Acrylic. Do not use a sharp bit as it will grab and rip through blowing out the back. If you can back it with wood somehow it will help.

Marlin65
03-18-2008, 11:16 PM
I would think that if you drill it properly, there's no reason for it crack. Go high speed and start with a smaller drill bit and work your way up to a larger bit.

Don't go too fast and don't push too hard. Do a test hole first on some scrap untill you get the feel for it.

bnhreef
03-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Hi Guys,

I had the larger skimmer of this type. If you put a drain on it you will run the risk of the skimmer draining your tank all the way down to the level of the pump intake. These skimmers often will overflow the collection cup. If this skimmer is inside a sump, just leave it and don't worry about it overflowing...even with some skimate inside. If you have it as a HOB - best of luck to you.

Take care.

Marlin65
03-19-2008, 03:42 PM
You just put a canister on the end that will pressurize to eliminate this.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ps-pmpw410

Murminator
03-19-2008, 04:02 PM
My SS has a plug hole for a drain just drilled it out then I made a snorkel out of rigid tubing about a half inch from the top and added a hose to the bottom to go into the sump so if it does fill up it overflows into my sump

Keri
03-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Hey thanks for all the tips!
We may have to risk a drain until we get a better skimmer, I just don't understand why sometimes it goes crazy, it's not like it's just filling up with water, you saw the colour, and I don't think some days I overfeed or anything? Strange. :squarewi:

Pier Pressure
03-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Another theory I have heard of is that if something dies in your tank and you are unable to find the body it will cause this kind of build-up in a skimmer as it deteriorates.

atcguy
03-20-2008, 08:00 PM
hose near top--backinto sump would work, if sink is near by even better...

Keri
03-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Another theory I have heard of is that if something dies in your tank and you are unable to find the body it will cause this kind of build-up in a skimmer as it deteriorates.

could be, I haven't noticed anybody missing or had any ammonia but we have a lot of CUC

Keri
03-21-2008, 12:26 AM
hose near top--backinto sump would work, if sink is near by even better...

*sigh* I'm sump-less because I'm too chicken to let my husband drill my tank

ElGuappo
03-21-2008, 01:10 AM
could be, I haven't noticed anybody missing or had any ammonia but we have a lot of CUC

I had and anem crawl behuind my rock wall and die once my cup on the skimmer filled twice in like 4 days.

Ya Dude
03-21-2008, 03:40 AM
My husband usually cleans it (skimmer = blue job )

what does that mean.If its what i think, I feel ripped off.You should really talk to my wife

Marlin65
03-21-2008, 03:50 AM
*sigh* I'm sump-less because I'm too chicken to let my husband drill my tank

There is ways around that.

Keri
03-23-2008, 04:34 AM
My husband usually cleans it (skimmer = blue job )

what does that mean.If its what i think, I feel ripped off.You should really talk to my wife

ha ha ha...

There is ways around that.

You don't understand, I have nightmares that something is going to leak!