PDA

View Full Version : Current-USA Solana 34G HQI - 1st Impressions

VFX
03-16-2008, 10:56 PM
It's been just over a week since I set up a new Current-USA Solana 34g cube with 150w HQI pendant & I thought I'd share my 1st impressions...

What you get:

- 20"x20"x20" tank.
- Built-in over flow with space for filter media (supplied with carbon & 'nano' balls), heater (not supplied), protein skimmer (supplied) & return pump (supplied).
- Basic ATO system (gravity fed using 2 plastic bottles of fresh water).
- 150w HQI pendant light with 14k bulb.
- Neat looking stand (flat packed & the usual PITA 'IKEA" style assembly).
- Glass cover.

Pros:

- Clean rimless, braceless design.
- Skimmer that works pretty well.
- Simple ATO system that seems to work (salinity & water level has been stable).
- 150w MH lighting with 14k bulb appears to give good PAR & nice colour (blue-ish without being too blue).
- easy to set up.
- Glass lid instead of the molded plastic canopy that some competitors utilise, allows for a top-less tank or top-less look tank. Also, allows HQI lighting without (hopefully!) over-heating.
- Option to add 250w HQI Sunpod with LEDs.
- Skimmer has baffles which have prevented micro bubbles usually given off by new units.

Cons:

- Glass seems too thin (5mm). Wish it was 7mm or more.
- Stand is a bit of a rip off but the LFS would only sell as a complete package so I had to bit the bullet & swallow the cost.
- the cost... $799+taxes? A little steep but I guess you pay for style & convenience with All-In-Ones.
- Glass cover reduces light penetration and could contribute to over-heating in hot weather.
- Only King Ed's had these in my area so I didn't have the option of shopping around for a better price or better deal.
- skimmer not as quiet as I hoped but maybe it needs a little breaking in time.
- 'UFO' or 'Disco Ball' style pendant light may not be to all tastes (but you could always upgrade to a Sunpod).

I like it so far, but at that price I wish I was more patient waited for custom built on instead.

Link to Solana. (http://www.current-usa.com/solana.html)

Mods - Not sure if this should be in Product reviews or Nano tank talk. Move if necessary. Thanks.

Sebae again
03-17-2008, 01:58 AM
I think $ 800 is a very good price for a complete set up including HQI lighting and skimmer. In this hobby it is easy to spend thousands. Looking forward to seeing pics.

VFX
03-17-2008, 04:46 PM
No pics yet...

I guess $800 isn't too bad considering, but if they would sell it for $600-650 without the stand would be much better.

You could buy or build a much better stand for $150.

Too right about spending $1000's - hard explaining why you need all that cash for a box full of water!

Myka
03-17-2008, 05:51 PM
My 33g has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than $800 invested. But hardware only...hmm let's do a comparison (haha):

33g tank w/ 150w Ebo heater, AquaClear 500, and decent looking stand from the local newspaper :D $75
Remora skimmer from guy on Reef Central $110 w/ preskimmer box
Sell pre-skimmer box for $27.50 (hahaha)
Glo T5 strip lights $140
Bulbs $50

Makes my total $347.50
BUT yours is all brand new. Your tank probably isn't scratched like mine is. You have a MH light. You have a nicer looking stand (by far), even if you don't like it. It's quite possible that my skimmer is better than the one in your setup though. If I bought all my stuff new it would cost almost exactly $500 new, including taxes, but not including a stand.

So...ya I think the Solana is a good deal. ;)

VFX
03-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Trouble with most All-In-One tanks is you need to keep spending once you bought it if you want to keep anything other than softies.

Solana $799
2 Heaters $50
2 x Korallia 1 $60

Also, I want to replace the glass cover with some kind of mesh cover to let in more light.

It's spend, spend, spend whether you have 5 gallons or 500 gallon!

Myka
03-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes...and then you want to upgrade. First it's phosban reactor, then lighting, then skimmer, then calcium reactor. Then you decide you want different brands. Then you decide to get a bigger tank, and you need to buy all new bigger, better, awesomer equipment. Really, it's all quite nerdy. :D

VFX
03-18-2008, 12:33 AM
Really, it's all quite nerdy. :D

It totally nerdy! :)

Hangfire
03-18-2008, 02:49 AM
I just wanted to ask, as I'm looking at getting this set up as an introduction to salt water tanks, has the price come down - as Ocean Aquatics is advertising the set up at $349.99? I thought that was a heck of a deal.

I'm curious about how the tank is running so far. I'm really only interested in keeping softies in this tank anyway, so the 150 Watt MH should be good enough, right?

Sebae again
03-18-2008, 03:13 AM
It says tank only.

VFX
03-18-2008, 03:55 AM
I just wanted to ask, as I'm looking at getting this set up as an introduction to salt water tanks, has the price come down - as Ocean Aquatics is advertising the set up at $349.99? I thought that was a heck of a deal.

I'm curious about how the tank is running so far. I'm really only interested in keeping softies in this tank anyway, so the 150 Watt MH should be good enough, right?

Yep. That's the tank only price.

OA say that they don't have any in stock right now (I called them and they told me to go to King Ed's) & they say Current-USA are being very slow to send them up here.

Be quick though, King Ed's only have one set left.

Tank is running fine so far but then again, it's really just a pile of live rock & live sand at the moment.

If you're only keeping softies you could save money by going for the PC lights (if & when Current-USA send stock to our LFS's!) instead of the Halides.

Hangfire
03-18-2008, 04:41 AM
Right you are, I didn't notice that before.

r1ck
04-14-2008, 04:15 AM
i bought mine in montreal for 339$ + 199$ for the stand and 139$
for current usa orbit fixture (2x 40w pc)

hockey nut
05-14-2008, 07:55 AM
called King Ed this month (May) and they said they had 2 in stock. #1 pc lights with stand $599. #2 HQI with stand $799.

Hope that helps.

Oscar
05-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Pros:

- Skimmer has baffles which have prevented micro bubbles usually given off by new units.

Can you expand on the "baffles"? Or do you have a photo that would explain? I am still dealing with micro bubbles with the skimmer supplied with the Cad 39G and am trying to find a solution.

VFX
05-14-2008, 04:11 PM
http://www.current-usa.com/files/images/solana_back.jpg

The water from the skimmer has to pass through the area marked No. 8 before it gets to the return pump via the middle chamber.

There's pretty much zero micro bubbles getting into the tank.

Only thing is you have to keep on top of rinsing everything out to prevent any build ups.