PDA

View Full Version : Plans/suggestions for the MONSTER'S tank room.

Canadian Man
02-27-2003, 11:08 PM
So just a progress update for you all.
The framing is done in the basement, including the stand for the tank.
Next step is ventalation in the basement which includes a bathroom type vent for the tank room to outside.

Then the electrical goes in the basement and get's approval yada yada yada.
So regarding electrical, there will be 2 400w radiums and 2 250w Iwasaki's on the tank(230g) and each set of lights Iwasaki and radium will be on it's own 15A circut above the tank.
For the rest of the room I was planning on putting in 5 more 15A outlets.

Plans are a coral farm type tank tied into the main system and the usual equip in the sump on the main tank. Also my dehumidifier will probably be used in the tank room but that depends on how affective the fan venting to outside is.

So does that sound reasonable for the tank rooms electrical requirements?

Also I am hoping I can have the exhaust fan controlled some how. Would one want it controlled by temp or humidity level?

Oh and the best news is that the tank is being delivered on saturday! :D

zulu_principle
02-28-2003, 01:19 AM
I have a small fishroom and although lighting is a big drain on power a couple of things that you may require also draw huge.

Chiller
Heaters
Humidifier
A/C
Coffee Pot
Power Vac

Just something to consider, as you are framing now its easy to add, once the dry wall goes up its a little more work.

Wendell

jgoldsney
02-28-2003, 04:19 PM
An idea that I had come up with a while ago for a humidity control sensor was to use the humidity sensor from a humidifier (I saw one at Home Depot for somewhere around $20.00) It turns on the humidifier when the humidity gets too low. If you used this in conjunction with a Normaly Closed relay it would turn the fan off when the humidity was low enough.

Hope this makes sense

Canadian Man
02-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Thanks,
That humidity control was kinda what I was thinking of but it's just a matter of finding one and making it work.
I was also thinking about having a timer and just have the fan turn on for a shceduled amount of time throughout the day.

The fan's I was looking at was 1.0 amps or there abouts so I don't really want to have this running all the time.

Skimmerking
02-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Have a fan connected to a switch so every time you are in the room it's on ..
Wait that would be all the time ... :wink:

mike

pictures please :P

Canadian Man
02-28-2003, 08:26 PM
Have a fan connected to a switch so every time you are in the room it's on ..
Wait that would be all the time ... :wink:

mike

pictures please :P :lol:

That makes me understand ZULU's comment about the coffee pot. Heck I might as well put my bed and a couch in there too! :lol:

When the tank comes tommorow I will make sure I post some pics in the next few days.
There is still a long road ahead and much $$$ of course, but it's slowly comming together.

spikehs
02-28-2003, 10:10 PM
where are the pics? lets see em!

Bob I
02-28-2003, 10:30 PM
For the rest of the room I was planning on putting in 5 more 15A outlets.

Just a thought. Each set of lights does not really need to be on its own circuit (unless you want to of course)

But five outlets may not be enough if you consider powerheads, heaters, pumps etc. My three tanks are on three outlets, and there are powerbars plugged into all of them because I am short of outlets. My advice is while you have the chance put in more plugs.

Tau2301
02-28-2003, 11:51 PM
After seeing your setup in person, I only have one criticism.

You’re not building it at my house. :D

I like your idea of one set of lights per circuit to begin with. This will leave room to add more lights to the same circuits in the future. I think the limit is 1200 to 1500 watts per circuit.

Bob, is right about the outlets. More is never enough. I would just put more duplex receptacles on the circuits for more outlets around the room. I always fine that there is never an outlet close to where I need one.

Canadian Man
03-01-2003, 01:24 AM
Thanks guys.
Well the lights will we on 2x15a circuts.
So one 400w and one 250w metal halide on one 15a circut. Still gives me room if I ever want to add high power actinics.

Maybe I will just fill the electrical panel box till it's full, so that will decide my # of outlets :D Yea I don't know at this point.

Sean, Pics will be up let's say sunday or so. I got to get the tank here first man! then send the pics to my favourite guy Alan :D so I can link to them here.

cheers

EmilyB
03-01-2003, 02:34 AM
Don't forget the beer fridge over by the coffee pot... :lol: 8)

Canadian Man
03-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Don't forget the beer fridge over by the coffee pot... :lol: 8) :lol:

Well the tank got delivered on time at noon today. The guys were great!
It was quite a chore getting it into the basement and DAM it was heavy!
The walls are 1/2" glass and the bottom is 3/4" glass as well as the eurobracing. The starfire glass is quite noticeable when compared to the back pane of glass.

Ciao!

AJ_77
03-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Congrats Buddy! Glad to hear it went OK.

BUT, don't you need a bigger tank for a dog of this size???

http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/canadian_man/post/DSC00842-1.JPG

Can't wait to see it in the wall, Jon!

sumpfinfishe
03-02-2003, 06:51 AM
Nice tank :!: :D
I don't know about in Calgary, but here in Vancouver our Dog-face Puffers don't look that real! Wow! that fish must be 60-70lbs :lol: and very healthy looking too- except for all that fur on his fins :shock:

Gee, leave to Deb to think of the "medicine cabinet" :wink:

Nice tank indeed :shock: , I just can't imagine the cost to fill that thing :!: If your ever in Van-drop me a line, I have a few frags that I can donate :)

cheers, Rich

Canadian Man
03-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Nice tank :!: :D
I don't know about in Calgary, but here in Vancouver our Dog-face Puffers don't look that real! Wow! that fish must be 60-70lbs :lol: and very healthy looking too- except for all that fur on his fins :shock:

Gee, leave to Deb to think of the "medicine cabinet" :wink:

Nice tank indeed :shock: , I just can't imagine the cost to fill that thing :!: If your ever in Van-drop me a line, I have a few frags that I can donate :)

cheers, Rich

Thanks fellows! :lol: That fish lives out of water too! :lol:

Yea I can't help but think about the 2 buckets of salt I have to buy to fill the system :? Oh well that's downfalls of a big tank.

There are a few more pics in the pics forum.

ranz
03-03-2003, 09:10 AM
I have documented some of the questions you might be looking for in regards to your Knew set-up....

In my web-site....click below...

A GOOD LUCK! Setting up the tank and creating the ecosystem is the best part....

Ranz

Canadian Man
03-03-2003, 05:01 PM
Hey Ranz,
I got a question for you, How did you get around the metal parts in the sprinkler solenoids that your using? I assume that they had or have metal parts in them as I have not found one without metal parts. is the 4 stage system still working for you?

StirCrazy
03-04-2003, 12:53 AM
Hey Ranz,
I got a question for you, How did you get around the metal parts in the sprinkler solenoids that your using? I assume that they had or have metal parts in them as I have not found one without metal parts. is the 4 stage system still working for you?

there isn't any except for one stainless steel screw.. you could coat it with silicone but I would just check it every couple months.

that is unless he is using a weird type of sprinkler selanoid valve :wink:

Steve

Canadian Man
03-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Thanks Steve.
Well that's what I thought. A few months back Tony and I, well Tony purchased a solenoid so we could take it apart and found it had a few metal parts. So we took it back and kinda kicked that idea out the door.

Anyway on another note. I found out tonight that my tank has the front and sides made of starphire glass. YEAAAA for me. I only paid for the front pane to be starphire! 8)