PDA

View Full Version : Clam died... tank in trouble.. now what??

Duffer2
03-16-2008, 01:30 AM
Okay, so I thought my clam was sick... I had moved it around in the last couple weeks, and it just didn't look right. Then all my SPS polyps didn't come out for a couple days. Today, I was working on my sump, and the smell from my water was repulsive. I took the clam out and the smell from it nearly knocked me over. The clam is now sitting outside my house as I attempt to freeze it, as even in plastic bags the smell was horrendous.

I did a 25% water change today and added fresh carbon. But things are looking rough!! I also checked my nitrites and oddly enough, they still didn't register on my test kit. Any thoughts or ideas.....

michika
03-16-2008, 01:45 AM
Run carbon, do small daily water changes, and light a candle! The smell will go away eventually, but you will have to live through it for a day or two. If you have a skimmer run it wet! I sympathize with the smell, I've been there and it sucks!

justinl
03-16-2008, 01:48 AM
what about ammonia and nitrate? If all three read zero, you might consider getting some new tests... a decent brand or else you're just burning cash.

In an emergency, 25% doesn't really cut it. Try another 40% change today. If you have any other media, feel free to add it (except carbon since you already did that).

The nice thing is that you were able to identify the source problem. Clams aren't toxic, so i think the only problem you have is a nitrogen based one (bivalves can decompose surprisingly fast). IMO 25% water change every day for a while until your tests go back to normal.

well, on the bright side, at least a lesson was learned: clams do not like being moved.

Duffer2
03-16-2008, 01:59 AM
what about ammonia and nitrate? If all three read zero, you might consider getting some new tests... a decent brand or else you're just burning cash.

In an emergency, 25% doesn't really cut it. Try another 40% change today. If you have any other media, feel free to add it (except carbon since you already did that).

The nice thing is that you were able to identify the source problem. Clams aren't toxic, so i think the only problem you have is a nitrogen based one (bivalves can decompose surprisingly fast). IMO 25% water change every day for a while until your tests go back to normal.

well, on the bright side, at least a lesson was learned: clams do not like being moved.

Yeah, I'm a little suspect on the test kits. I'm trying to get some more water ready, but my RO/DI is kinda slow. I think I'll keep changing the water as fast as I can generate it for a while until the corals start looking better. You mentioned other media.... what do you have in mind? I'm also running phosban but I thought that was just for Phosphates.

Duffer2
03-16-2008, 02:02 AM
Run carbon, do small daily water changes, and light a candle! The smell will go away eventually, but you will have to live through it for a day or two. If you have a skimmer run it wet! I sympathize with the smell, I've been there and it sucks!

Okay, I just adjusted the skimmer and I'm running wet. My wife was already on the candle idea, although I might not have to smell it much longer as she might kick my but out of the house it's smelling so bad! :cry::cry::cry:

Duffer2
03-16-2008, 02:15 AM
More damage from that stupid clam....
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh117/Duffer22/DSC01280.jpg

EmilyB
03-16-2008, 07:09 AM
BTW, do not burn a "scented" candle....

michika
03-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Naturally scented beeswax candle seem to be quite effective!