PDA

View Full Version : What controller?

digital-audiophile
03-14-2008, 01:58 PM
So I think I want to add a controller to my system.

I do not need anything fancy but I want the abilty to upgrade in the future.

At present all I really want are :

1.) PH Monitoring/Control
2.) Temperature Monitoring/Control
3.) Light Timers (dawn/dusk/moonlight)
4.) Easy power control to turn on/off powerheads

I have looked a bit into the Aquacontroller Jr and the Reefkeeper 2 but just not sure which one is better than the other.

I like the profilux but I just can't justify the money for the simple tasks I require.

Thanks for the input :)

mark
03-14-2008, 02:02 PM
can't offer any advice but here's some comparisons

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29195

Jason McK
03-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Reef Keeper Elite is about to be launched. I'm holding out for that

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/index.php

muck
03-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Reef Keeper Elite is about to be launched. I'm holding out for that

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/index.php

Wow that does look promising. :biggrin:

digital-audiophile
03-14-2008, 02:33 PM
All that for $490?? Wow, I think I will just wait for that. Seems like a rather high end unit for a lot less than the profilux.

mr_alberta
03-14-2008, 02:38 PM
I have an AC Jr. I bought it because it was 1) cheaper than the Profilux and 2) it had an external switch port which I wanted to use for my ATO.

The unit is pretty nice. It doesn't have some of the fancy features of the Profilux (wireless LAN or Ethernet Connection). Also, I used the onboard serial port to control my AutoTopoff, so if I ever wanted to connect it to my computer, I'd have to unplug my ATO.

The unit itself is pretty easy to use. The display is fairly easy to read, though the icons they use for Lights, Pumps, etc can be a bit confusing. Programming is easy and if you've ever written computer scripts, it should be a snap.

The AC Jr. can only control up to 12 outlets via 1 DC8 and 1 DC4 (or 3 DC4), so if you need more than that, this won't be the unit for you.

jasond
03-14-2008, 03:19 PM
All that for $490?? Wow, I think I will just wait for that. Seems like a rather high end unit for a lot less than the profilux.

That does look pretty good! Even the Reefkeeper2 for the money doesnt look like a bad buy. I like the temp control, as well as having the timers all in one, cleans things up a bit!

Keep us posted on what you decide to go with!

Patrick1
03-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Look at getting a basic profilux package. If your just price shopping Profilux starts at $465.00, If you want to start of with more they have like 10 packages all of which you can upgrade. That way your never stuck having to sell one limited system to buy something more advanced.

mseepman
03-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Note that if you pre-order the RK Elite, you get the Lunar light module for free.

Tom R
03-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I got a ProfiLux Plus II Controller for Christmas and it is fantastic. I did not buy their package, I had them build it exactly to my specs (this saves money by not paying for modules that I would not use). You can always add them at a later date. I wanted 2 x PH, 1 x temp and 2 x power bars. I also used Aqua-Digitals $19 PH probes rater than the $80 ProfilLux probes (they work just fine). I was able to sell my Medusa temp. controller, my PH controller and if I attach my Tunze's I will be able to sell the Tunze controllers. My net cost without the frills is about $300. This will increase as time goes on as I see more and more uses to completely automate the day to day control and care of my tanks. Things such as automatic water change.

I know that ProfiLux looks expensive but do you really need control of Salinity, Redox, Humidity, Oxygen or Air Temperature. If you do you can add them later.

ProfiLux just had an introductory offer of $495 that would have got you up and running with about 80% of your tank controlled

Patrick1
03-14-2008, 04:27 PM
I Agree with Tom R

mseepman
03-14-2008, 05:03 PM
I have been debating over a controller as well. The issue I have with Profilux is that to get a powerbar to control a few more things, I need to spend a lot more money.

Alternatively, the RK Elite will be completely new and possibly have a few bugs to work out, so anyone buying this will probably need some patience.

I'm still on the fence.

Pan
03-14-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm holding out for the Biomatix

http://www.biomatixsystems.com/

Doug
03-14-2008, 09:15 PM
I,m happy with my RK2. But besides a Ranco temp. controller, its the only one I have owned, so no comparison.

mseepman
03-14-2008, 10:55 PM
This controller looks pretty cool. Anyone know anything more about them?

I'm holding out for the Biomatix

http://www.biomatixsystems.com/

Matthias Gross
03-15-2008, 01:10 PM
For basic tasks we created the ProfiLux II eX.

- temperature & pH-control
- dosingpump & currentpump control
- light control (standard or dimmable)
- PC-interface (RS232)
- up to 4 powerbars (with 6 sockets each) can be connected

this unit is not expandable

Please ask your retailer or Aqua Digital for pricing & details.

dmbaggie
04-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah...the biomatix thing is pretty sweet. I think they have a media kit on there. I know its fully expandable. And they're selling them now if you call. There's a place in Houston called fish gallery that has one setup. If you google biomatix, you can find some pix of a setup at the Biomatix office from some guy's blog. The coolest part is all the remote monitoring features which they aren't "selling" enough. You can control the thing from your iphone if you've got one!

atcguy
04-01-2008, 07:09 PM
I have used the aquatronica unit for a year and a half and love it, I have a lap-top hooked up in my fishroom to make easy changes but everything can be done through the display. Simple to use and have had no problems. LOVE IT

Pan
04-01-2008, 10:10 PM
I think, when it comes out the reefkeeper elite will be the bast bang for the buck. Lowest price most features.

Pan
04-01-2008, 10:11 PM
For basic tasks we created the ProfiLux II eX.

- temperature & pH-control
- dosingpump & currentpump control
- light control (standard or dimmable)
- PC-interface (RS232)
- up to 4 powerbars (with 6 sockets each) can be connected

this unit is not expandable

Please ask your retailer or Aqua Digital for pricing & details.
Only problem with this as we all know...very few basic tanks stay that way :)

fkshiu
04-02-2008, 04:25 AM
http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/

Parker
04-05-2008, 02:33 AM
I'm patiently waiting for the Reefkeeper Elite also. Looks to be good bang for the buck.

michika
04-09-2008, 04:54 AM
I've also been following the upcoming release of the Reefkeeper Elite. I think I may purchase when it comes out, and just keep it around as a back-up while the bugs are all worked out.