PDA

View Full Version : anyone know how to open magfloats?

imisky
03-13-2008, 02:42 AM
hey guys,

im looking for a way to open up my magfloat so i can put some stronger magnet inside it and yet keep the size small. i have found a place for those rare earth magnets and was just wondering if anyone has tried to open up there magfloat or have seen people do it on other forums.

Thanks

i have crabs
03-13-2008, 02:45 AM
hammer

fkshiu
03-13-2008, 02:55 AM
I think I saw some dude on RC make his own by coating the rare earth magnets in epoxy and then supergluing some velcro to the "inside" magnet and some felt to the "outside" one. Thought about trying it until I discovered the Easy Blade attachement.

Todd
03-13-2008, 03:34 AM
I think I saw some dude on RC make his own by coating the rare earth magnets in epoxy and then supergluing some velcro to the "inside" magnet and some felt to the "outside" one. Thought about trying it until I discovered the Easy Blade attachement.

I looked into doing this to make a seio holder. The stuff to use is casting resin. Picked some up at Industrial Plastics, but found another way to attach the powerhead so I ended up returning it.

X-Treme
03-13-2008, 04:41 AM
Check this out instead of trying to make your own...... They are TINY and work GREAT. Got two myself.

http://www.nimblenano.com/

Pan
03-13-2008, 12:45 PM
rare earth magnets can be pretty strong as well. Be careful with glass. I had a buddy order some from lee valley tools and they snapped together on him. I got them apart but it took awhile.

Pescador
03-13-2008, 10:39 PM
You could open it up with a cutting disc on a Dremel and glue it back together. As long as you put the new magnet in the outside (felt side) piece it doesn't have to be 100% water tight.
I mixed a non floating Magnavore with a Magfloat so you don't necessarily have to change both magnets.