PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermaid Roughneck Totes Warning

bassman
03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Apparently these containers will not work for holding water for any lenght of time.

I just installed two in my basement to act as a sump. My original, submersible pump was not powerful enough to pump my water from the basement and I couldn't find another submersible pump that would work. So I had to upgrade to an external pump (I hate when that happens). Only problem is that my sump was a 30 gallon glass tank with no holes drilled to connect the pump. I needed to do something fast and cheap as I had JUST started a new system.

So I bought and connected two Rubbermaid Roughneck Totes together with my pump fixed to the bottom of one of them. All worked great, for approx. 2.5 months.

Monday morning I discovered a tiny little puddle of water under the corner of one of the tubs. After looking closer I discovered a hair line crack in the bottom corner of the tub. It is right in the corner of where they have installed little tabs for strength.

Within 4 hours the leak was much worse, probably 2 drops per second. I immediately ran out and bought two more tubs to store all my water in while I figured out what to do. By the time I got back (15 minutes) the water water was no longer dripping, it was pouring out. Glad I just started using Zeo salt, nothing like wasting money :-)

Bla, bla, bla, I removed all the water, held the faulty tub up to a light and there were acutally two cracks in the corner now. Also, while I was taking everything apart I found another little puddle in the opposite corner. Being that all this was happening at the back side of the tub where I couldn't really see anything I figured the water had just channeled it's way to the opposite corner. Nope, upon inspecting the opposite corner under light it had just sprung a leak as well.

I drained my other tote that did not leak and held it up to the light and found numerous cracks ready to start leaking at any moment.

I am not sure what to think of this other than Rubbermaid have purposely designed these totes to not hold liquids for any length of time. The bottom are not exactly flat and have little bumps built in that are supposed to act as feet but only on the corners, nothing in the middle. Perhaps it was my own stupidy for trying to use these in the first place but I needed a quick, cheap solution. Lesson learned.

Just wanted to let others know.

Pan
03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Apparently these containers will not work for holding water for any lenght of time.

I just installed two in my basement to act as a sump. My original, submersible pump was not powerful enough to pump my water from the basement and I couldn't find another submersible pump that would work. So I had to upgrade to an external pump (I hate when that happens). Only problem is that my sump was a 30 gallon glass tank with no holes drilled to connect the pump. I needed to do something fast and cheap as I had JUST started a new system.

So I bought and connected two Rubbermaid Roughneck Totes together with my pump fixed to the bottom of one of them. All worked great, for approx. 2.5 months.

Monday morning I discovered a tiny little puddle of water under the corner of one of the tubs. After looking closer I discovered a hair line crack in the bottom corner of the tub. It is right in the corner of where they have installed little tabs for strength.

Within 4 hours the leak was much worse, probably 2 drops per second. I immediately ran out and bought two more tubs to store all my water in while I figured out what to do. By the time I got back (15 minutes) the water water was no longer dripping, it was pouring out. Glad I just started using Zeo salt, nothing like wasting money :-)

Bla, bla, bla, I removed all the water, held the faulty tub up to a light and there were acutally two cracks in the corner now. Also, while I was taking everything apart I found another little puddle in the opposite corner. Being that all this was happening at the back side of the tub where I couldn't really see anything I figured the water had just channeled it's way to the opposite corner. Nope, upon inspecting the opposite corner under light it had just sprung a leak as well.

I drained my other tote that did not leak and held it up to the light and found numerous cracks ready to start leaking at any moment.

I am not sure what to think of this other than Rubbermaid have purposely designed these totes to not hold liquids for any length of time. The bottom are not exactly flat and have little bumps built in that are supposed to act as feet but only on the corners, nothing in the middle. Perhaps it was my own stupidy for trying to use these in the first place but I needed a quick, cheap solution. Lesson learned.

Just wanted to let others know.
They are pretty thin walled, most rubbermaid sumps i've seen (long term anyways) are those thick black ones...or double or tripled up with support braces around them....as soon as they bow they get weaker....i can see it in the ones i am curing my rock in...

bassman
03-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Yes I agree, unfortunately I couldn't find any locally.

I never thought of doubling them up though

StirCrazy
03-13-2008, 12:14 AM
I used one for over a year, just have to cut a chunk of foam to support the whole bottom evenly.

Steve

Johnny Reefer
03-13-2008, 01:08 AM
..... I am not sure what to think of this other than Rubbermaid have purposely designed these totes to not hold liquids for any length of time. .....
JMO, but...I don't think ANY storage totes are designed to hold liquids. Just that most of them do.

Puff
03-13-2008, 05:25 AM
i use one to mix saltwater in. no leaks yet and it's been used since september. thanks for the warning though. i will definitely keep an eye out. i think the fact that it isnt always full, and sometimes doesnt have anything in it at all helps me out.lol

bassman
03-13-2008, 03:11 PM
i use one to mix saltwater in. no leaks yet and it's been used since september. thanks for the warning though. i will definitely keep an eye out. i think the fact that it isnt always full, and sometimes doesnt have anything in it at all helps me out.lol

No problem, the ones I was using were just over 1/2 full at most.

Replacement arrived yesterday, pic attached. That should do it :-) $200.00

Tom R
03-13-2008, 03:52 PM
I have used 2 rubbermaid totes for more than 3 years with no problems.

I have the very head duty large totes from Zellers approx $19 each. You do have to put a support around the top as they will bow. I am currently using one to cure live rock and it works well for that.