PDA

View Full Version : Missing seahare

likwid
03-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Hey guys,

I bought a seahare and put it in my tank. It was very active at first, picking at my hair algae, but never eating tons. He would always climb up the glass and just walk around the sand and rocks. The next few days he wasnt as active and would only move around a fraction as much as he did before. Now for the last few days I havent seen him anywhere in my tank. All of my powerheads are covered up, so he didnt get sucked into any. I don't feel like tearing apart my aquascape to look for him. Anyone ever encounter a similar experience?

ElGuappo
03-11-2008, 06:28 PM
i once turned my pumps on and blew my seahare into my jawfishes cave. never saw him again. bought another 3 monthes later still doing fine sometimes he goes behind the rockscape. sometimes when i cant find him he is at the top of my tank under the trim(?) where i cannot see him without looking real hard. i have had this one for 3 weeks now. as long as he has algae on the glass rocks etc he shhould be fine. i have never had any issies with my inverts and seahare either.

likwid
03-11-2008, 06:31 PM
I just have the worst luck with there. The first one I bought got sucked into a powerhead. The second was really slow at first and then motionless the next day, dead. And now this one disappeared. Ugh....

I have noticed in the back corner of my tank there are a bunch of empty snail shells accumulating. Maybe something is eating my snails and this seahare?

ElGuappo
03-11-2008, 06:35 PM
i have notices my hermits killing my margarita snails for the shells but wouldnt think they would have any interest in my seahare. its hard to tell how many as my jawfish grabs any shell burying them in his doorway so my rusty angel cant get in .

Phanman
03-11-2008, 06:35 PM
I got a seahare last week too. I threw him in the tank and I had to step out right away. Anyways I look for him every night but havnt seen him once since I initially put him in the tank. Hair algae is the same... just weird.

likwid
03-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Where did you get it Phanman? I got mine from Elite, it isnt like the other seahares I have gotten before. It was dark with bright blue spots.

Phanman
03-11-2008, 06:41 PM
I got mine from oceans and its the same one u got. dark with bright blue spots.

ElGuappo
03-11-2008, 06:43 PM
same one i got at ocean city.

BC564
03-11-2008, 07:49 PM
I have the same seahare....he was cruising around for a couple weeks....now I have no clue where he went....I have looked everywhere...just vanished.....

likwid
03-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Wow this is very strange. 3 of us have the exact same problem with the same sea hares.. Very odd.. Anyone have any ideas?

ElGuappo
03-11-2008, 09:55 PM
this one hasent gone missing YET. i havbe no ideas as i have done nothing different with this one. i also had a huge excese of algae. now the algae is almost gone and im getting alittle worried.

kwirky
03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
one problem could be acclimation. seahares are molluscs which means they're VERY sensitive to salinity changes. The drip acclimation process is the best for them.

here's how:

put your new animal and the water from the bag in a clean container (tupperware will do but something insulated is best)
set up a slow drip (2 drops per second) for an hour
remove half of the water from the container and increase the flow rate to a slow trickle
remove half the water a half an hour later and increase it to a fast trickle
test the salinity. if it's the same in the container and your tank, add the animal to your aquarium. if not, continue acclimating at the current trickle rate until it is.

this acclimation process is good for fish too but add a little Prime or some other ammonia neutralizing chemical so that the fish doesn't poop itself to death during the process. (ammonia chemicals are not nesessary for inverts)

also keep on top of your evaporation. dumping in lots of top off water at once is hard on snails n such because of the sudden salinity change and may be the cause of a "snail graveyard"

if you're running out of food for your sea hare you can feed it nori

Treebeard
03-12-2008, 08:31 PM
I picked up a seahare and a cats eye snail on Sunday. I have seen the seahare cruising around occasionally, but otoh, I haven't seen the snail since Sunday night, and he is rather large to completely bury himself in the sand.

Wow this is very strange. 3 of us have the exact same problem with the same sea hares.. Very odd.. Anyone have any ideas?

BC564
03-12-2008, 10:13 PM
The acclimation was fine....the sea hare has just vanished....liked someone reached it and removed it......one day....happy little dude pigging out on algae.....next day......gone.....my god...I think someone broke in and stole my sea hare....

hillbillyreefer
03-12-2008, 10:41 PM
It was meeeee!!!!!!

Puff
03-12-2008, 10:59 PM
I just have the worst luck with there. The first one I bought got sucked into a powerhead. The second was really slow at first and then motionless the next day, dead. And now this one disappeared. Ugh....

I have noticed in the back corner of my tank there are a bunch of empty snail shells accumulating. Maybe something is eating my snails and this seahare?

i found a Predator-esque pile of hermit shells outside this little nook in one piece of my foundation rock...turned out it was a gorilla crab. i caught one. then a week later a smaller one had taken its place. i couldnt catch this one, so i blinded it with a lazer pointer. now when i do see it it's wandering around like Mr. Magoo.

BC564
03-13-2008, 06:45 PM
would a gorilla crab eat a sea hare?

CRAP! Another Hobby
04-25-2008, 01:31 AM
Sorry to bump a vacated thread...but mine did the exact same thing! I did the acclimation during the early evening...plopped it into it's new home...watched him for hours...then never seen him again :cry: I only have 50lbs of rock, so maybe I just re-landsdcape and see where he hides. :biggrin: