PDA

View Full Version : Nano tank subtle differences

cyberloach
03-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Hi Im new to the hobby and have been doing lots of research and review of many of the all-in-one nano tanks.
I'm looking at a lost cost nano probably with PC lights.
My question is what are the subtle differences between model/brands.
Are some easier to mod, easier to get a small skimmer in there ect...
Any help would be much appricaited

Boomboy
03-11-2008, 02:52 AM
wow this is a huge question to answer. ok well for nano- info this is the best site to get it. nano-reef.com there are the biocube, aquapod, solana, the nanocube, well this is most of the basic ones, you could always build yourself an all in one, pretty easy once you look around a bit. i personally like the solana the best, because of the open top look, and its the biggest i think. i think all of the other 3 probably need to be modded in one way or another, im not sure which one but either the nanocube or biocube needs 2nd chamber modded. if your going to get an hqi in these systems better get ready to either a) get a cooler (waste of money in my opinion) b) mod the hoods and install more fans. but youve just got to look at them all and see the few differences in them, the size i think they all come in different sizes, and trust me you will want the biggest one of them, even if you dont fill it up, just easier water parameters. didnt really help much just got the ball rolling for you, check out that site helps lots,

mseepman
03-11-2008, 04:11 AM
One other nano to look at would be Cadlights if you are planning on getting the HQI version. This one is also good for the open top look.

ElGuappo
03-11-2008, 04:17 AM
my RED SEA MAX has skimmer baffles media filter al in small sump behind glass i have added nothing but acouple more powerheads. look at the bottom of page 2 top of page3 for TANK shots.

Stones
03-11-2008, 08:56 AM
I can't speak for any of the other all-in-one nano systems other than the aquapod line. I currently own the 12 gallon version with the 70 watt HQI Sunpod light. In my opinion, the tank is very well built and needed no mods to be used to house a mixed lps/sps reef. There is enough room in the back "in tank sump" chamber to house a pre-filter sponge, carbon or any other chemical resins, biological filter media such as matrix or live rock rubble and still have enough space to have a HOB type skimmer. Currently I'm running a rio nano skimmer on the tank and have been quite happy with it, other than the slight amount of noise generated by it.

I expected with the HQI lighting system that the tank would need some sort of extra cooling mods installed in order to keep the tanks temperature stable but the temperature in my tank stays relatively constant at 80F irregardless of whether the lights are on or not. No heater has been added to the system either.

The only feature that may be worth changing is the powerhead used to return water from the "in tank sump" to the actual display area. Upgrading this to a Maxi-jet 600 or 1200 would most likely be beneficial if you are using this as the only source of flow in your tank. I thought I'd try out the hydor koralia nano powerhead instead of taking this option and find the amount of flow produced by this along with the small amount coming from the stock powerhead to be more than sufficient to keep my acros happy.

The Aquapod line also comes in 8 and 24 gallon sizes depending on how big or small you want to go. I know Puff has a thread going on canreef here detailing the progress of his 24 gallon aquapod that he did a few mods to.

ElGuappo
03-11-2008, 04:11 PM
The red sea maxis the sam as below but coms with skimmer and its works quite good no idea what brand but i am yet to have any problemsin 7 monthes.

http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/Red_Sea_MAX_specs.html

this link shows all componets and specs for lights pH's and such.

Brent F
03-11-2008, 04:23 PM
I went with the Red Sea Max and a Nanocube 6 because I wanted a tight fitting lid to keep the fish from jumping out. I also went with the RSM because the stand looked better than the others.

Others like the Candights and Noanocube 28 look good if you want MH lighting and an open top look. I went custom for my open top tank because, to me, the reason for buying an AIO is the smooth lines of the stand and the integrated hood.

Comes down to what is important to you.

cyberloach
03-12-2008, 12:57 AM
The red max is a little out of my price range i was think more of a biocube 14 or 29.

how small do extra Hqi light come. I was wondering if i could squeeze a small one in biocube?