PDA

View Full Version : How best to set up a powerhead

Michael
02-26-2003, 01:39 PM
Well, so far my tank is progressing nicely due to the advice I have picked up in this group.

I was wondering whether it is better to have a power head near the top of the tank to move the surface water and help dissapate CO2 , or to place it at the bottom of the tank for better circulation.

I have a Hagen 802 ( I know they are not the best powerheads) and don't know where the best spot would be. I think pointing it at the liverock would help the circulation around the liverock, but also heard that algae feeds off of CO2 and don't want that to build up in the tank.

(Then there is the whole question of using aeration with the powerhead or not.).

Currently the 60 gallon tank has a damsel, blennie, 2 shrimp, liverock, and snails. It also has a sandbed.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Michael

Canadian Man
02-26-2003, 02:25 PM
Hey Michael.
Well I always have my powerheads at the top of the surface. If you have two points of water, eg. powerhead and return from sump or two powerheads, then put them at either end of the tank. Point them towards eachother and when they meet them will cause some turbulace especially toward the bottom of the tank. This eliminates, in my opinion, the need to have powerheads in the lower part of the tank.

cheers

Bob I
02-26-2003, 04:03 PM
Place them near the top of the tank, and point them toward the surface if possible (at an angle of course), or if you have Maxijets, you can use the deflector that comes with them.

sumpfinfishe
02-26-2003, 04:35 PM
Michael my 402 is pointed at the center front pane of the tank. I use a filter basket under the powerhead without any filter media inside, not only to prevent anything large enough to be blended but also it elevates the powerhead to about 3 inches under the surface. I get complete circulation from the 402 and I never use the air intake as when my sump powers on after everytime I feed, I get a short blast of air into the tank which helps with gas exchange. I also have a surface overflow which also aids in gas exchange. Check out my webpage to see a pic of how mine is setup.

Goodluck, :) Rich

Aquattro
02-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Michael, there is nothing wrong with a 802. I'm replacing my maxijets with an 802. Good strong powerhead.
You know, I've never given much thought to placing powerheads...just put them under water, mount the bracket (not suction cups with an 802) and point it across the tank. After a while I might adjust it for no good reason.
I guess try and make sure you get water movement throughout the tank..adjust accordingly. No rocket science involved with this at all. :P

Kris F
02-28-2003, 05:26 AM
Hi Michael how's it going? :D

I just bought an 802 today, and I pointed it at the opposing corner of the tank, and it seems to be working great! Lots of power! I also have a 201 at the other end pointing to the middle of my live rock and everything seems to be circulating great! :lol:

I've got no complaints so far! Good luck!

Oh, by the way, my 802 is flowing close to the surface too.