PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have horror stories about using Kalk

Michael
02-26-2003, 12:09 PM
I've heard people losing complete reef setups when using Kalk. The water just crusts up.

I was talking to my local fish store, and he said he never uses the stuff, it can be deadly. Now I know some people can be biased about one product over another...but has anyone ever had any bad experiences with Kalk that would support this? I just started using it and he made me kinda nervous.

Thanks.

Michael

stephane
02-26-2003, 04:04 PM
Hi micheal I have use kalk in the past for severale years and found it to be a very good and cheap way to maintain calcium , alkalinity and hight PH

If you use it the rong way yes it could be dangerous but any other supplement will be if you use it the rong way. people who said kalk is not good only dont know how it work :wink:

here is a couple of good tread http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3744&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3678&highlight=kalk

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1084&highlight=kalk

you could see my set up and the reactor I use here
http://zapzap.zwf.net/gallery/Album-de-stephane?&page=1

I have now buy a calcium reactor with CO2 one month ago but still try to adjust it right the realy big draw back since I plug the puppy is my PH
is deadly low 7.9 to 8.05

If you have any question feel free to ask

Doug
02-26-2003, 04:54 PM
Stephane I have been meaning to ask you why you decided to add the big co2 reactor. {besides, like many of us, you like toys} :D

Was your calcium demand from the sps, out growing your kalk reactor?

I also wonder, does anyone just use one or the other anymore, on large tanks, or is everyone using both now?

I also wonder, does anyone just use a co2 reactor and no kalk and have positive results over the long term?

Michael, hope you dont mind if I added questions to your thread. Perhaps we can get a good calcium/alk thread going. It may help you in some of your decisions.

The only problem with kalk, is its high ph, {over 12}, so if its added to fast it can drive the tanks ph up. Its the most common calcium additive world wide and has been a stable for almost 20 years.

Aquattro
02-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Doug, I only use a Ca reactor. Once in a while I'll drip kalk in my topoff, but not for any particular reason. I can tell you, I will not be using a kalk reactor...ever. It's just more junk to stuff under my stand, and I don't need to hassle of filling and cleaning it. My Ca reactor maintains all my levels just fine....if I need to adjust for some reason, I use powders.

Aquattro
02-26-2003, 05:16 PM
Doug, you made me help you steal this thread!! :P

Michael, no, I've never heard of a horror story that wasn't due to gross stupidity on the part of the human involved. Don't dump it in the tank dry, don't eat it, and don't touch your eyes after mixing it.
And make sure you need it. Do you have a high Ca/alk consumption? What are your levels at now? How much do those levels change in 24 hours? In the beginning you can probably use the 2 part additives more economically than kalk. Unless you have a tank full of stoney corals, you don't need much for supplements.

stephane
02-26-2003, 05:42 PM
Stephane I have been meaning to ask you why you decided to add the big co2 reactor. {besides, like many of us, you like toys} :D

:oops: Toys :oops: and Im searching someting set and forget the kalk
reactor have to be refil each 1 1/2 week and if you dont do it at this exact time in a tank with Hight consuption the alk ans calcium go dow prety fast and you have to adjust them

Was your calcium demand from the sps, out growing your kalk reactor?

If I have refill it more often and on shedul it could do it witout any problem. I have a very big demand 3 gallon of very milky stuff each day but the problem is I was somtime to laysi to refill it on time and my calcium and alk lower, then it was pain to get it up with vinegar and kalk mixture

I also wonder, does anyone just use one or the other anymore, on large tanks, or is everyone using both now?

I only use the CO2 now to know exacly wath will be the pro and con but it is to early to give any conclusion other then for now my PH is low

I also wonder, does anyone just use a co2 reactor and no kalk and have positive results over the long term?

will tell you in on years :D

Michael, hope you dont mind if I added questions to your thread. Perhaps we can get a good calcium/alk thread going. It may help you in some of your decisions.

The only problem with kalk, is its high ph, {over 12}, so if its added to fast it can drive the tanks ph up. Its the most common calcium additive world wide and has been a stable for almost 20 years.

No one should us Kalk witout a PH meter it is the main factor you have to look at

Doug
02-26-2003, 05:43 PM
Thanks Brad. I forgot the others, like 2-part. Like he says Michael, if your demand is not to high, then something like ESV B-Ionic is ideal. Every morning or so, you just dose an equal part of each. I use to use 35ml of each per day in my 70g soft coral tank, that had lots of coralline growth.

I dont thing were hijacking Brad, :) Just adding more info. Perhaps I will start another.

Michael
02-26-2003, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. Good to know people have been successful with it (as long as they don't eat it ).

Michael

Aquattro
02-26-2003, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. Good to know people have been successful with it (as long as they don't eat it ).

Michael

Actually, I just made that up. People use CaOH to make pickles. I guess you still shouldn't eat it by itself :D