PDA

View Full Version : 230 in wall build

Rene
03-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Ok, this should be interesting... I've kept several freshwater tanks for years, but this is my first attempt at salt water. I hope to have everything up and running by July.

Everyone I talked to about this said to go with the largest set up that I could, so the plan is for a 230 gallon tank (72x24x30), in wall in the basement with a 17 x 6 fish room behind it.

Progress
-Currently, I have the wall framed and the tank sitting in the wall. I have it plumbed to a 50 gallon sump.

-I recently purcased a 72" Solaris G4, and have set that up.

-Last night I hooked up my RODI unit and broke one of the fittings off in the unit, so that will put me slightly behind schedual.

Things that I still need to do/get:
1. Fix RODI
2. Add baffels to sump
4. Electrical set up of fish room (I think I will need to hire a pro for this)
5. Set up ATO
6. Skimmer/heaters purchase and set up
7. Saltwater mixing station setup
8. Buy powerheads and setup
9. Aquascape
10. Stock

Will have pics up soon, thanks for looking. Any advise would be great! Am I forgeting anything?

Rene

michika
03-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Sounds like a good start! Why where you told 230g was the largest you could go?

Rene
03-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Sounds like a good start! Why where you told 230g was the largest you could go?

230 was as much as I had room for.

michika
03-10-2008, 07:35 PM
I see! 230g is a nice size, lots of potential. What kind of system do you want it to be?

Rene
03-10-2008, 07:59 PM
I want to have a soft/sps coral. I need to do alot of research on the coral yet. I have been mainly researching equipment so far..

I am hoping to set up the system so that I will have the option of keeping any coral.

I see! 230g is a nice size, lots of potential. What kind of system do you want it to be?

mseepman
03-10-2008, 11:11 PM
That sounds like a nice system. Some things to keep in mind...if you look at build threads on this site or any other reef forum, you will notice that once the tank is "finished" there is very rarely a mix of soft/SPS corals in the tank. This is because of the flow requirements each has. If you think you will want SPS, make sure you have some way to create random flow and a lot of it. Softies won't appreciate that type of flow very much and probably wouldn't do as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing this come together...take lots of pictures.

Snappy
03-11-2008, 06:07 AM
if you look at build threads on this site or any other reef forum, you will notice that once the tank is "finished" there is very rarely a mix of soft/SPS corals in the tank. This is because of the flow requirements each has. If you think you will want SPS, make sure you have some way to create random flow and a lot of it. Softies won't appreciate that type of flow very much and probably wouldn't do as well.
Sorry but I think that statement is quite misleading. I have a successful mixed reef and so do a few of my friends. It is quite easy to do.

michika
03-11-2008, 06:09 AM
Keep researching, and go with what feels right. Post photos for feedback, and look at the Tank of the Month threads here. There are tons of great ideas to be had from Tank Journals, and TOTM write-ups.