PDA

View Full Version : Reeflo Dart Question

mark
03-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Anyone know if the Reeflo Dart is identical to the Sequence 3600SEQ12.

I know they look the same but wondering if there's any differences in the impeller etc?

untamed
03-08-2008, 05:20 PM
For some reason all the info about the Dart/Barracuda/Hammerhead have all been removed from MDM's website...

Todd
03-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Not sure about the differences between these two pumps, but I know some of the Reeflo pumps have different seals, some for saltwater, some for fresh. Depending on the seal they are marketed differently. You can also change the seals in your order of one of them, this then changes the price as they have to swap the seals around, even though they are the same pump.

Todd
03-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Here is a quote from Reeflo from a local club site (TGVAS):

Second, the Hammerhead and the 5800SEQ23 are actually the same pump. The 5800SEQ was originally part of the watergarden line so it comes standard with freshwater seals. The Hammerhead was mirrored off of the 5800 for the ReeFlo series and comes standard with saltwater seals. As i am sure you have noticed, you can order the 5800SEQ23 with saltwater seals, but that is why you are seeing a difference in price between the 5800 and the Hammerhead. There is an extra labor charge with the 5800 cause the seals need to be switch to saltwater. So the best pump to go with is the Hammerhead because they cost less cause they are made for saltwater use.
From what you said in your email, it sounds like you will be at about 15-16ft of head pressure. You will not be adding much additional friction loss as long as you stick with the 1.5" piping on as much of the discharge as possible. The Hammerhead will give you about 3300gph at that head pressure, which will work very well for a 300gallon tank. If you find that you are getting a little too much flow, it is safe to valve our pumps down on the discharge side and that is not harmful to the pump. A quarter valve down can actually save up to 10% on watt draw.
Please let me know if you have an further questions or concerns. Thanks,
Beth Franklin
ReeFlo Inc.

littlesilvermax
03-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Sequence has had a few pumps in their line.

They had cheaper Reefflo pumps a while back (4 or 5 years ago). The power and output was the same, but the motors were not the aluminum covered expensive feeling ones, they were cheaper steel covered ones.

I think now all the Reefflos pumps are the good ones, at least from what I have seen.

FWIW MDM also has two different kinds of SW seals. One has carbon in it, the other I cannot remember. Come to think of it I actually have extras of both for my Hammerhead, but since my original seal troubles my Hammerhead has been going for 3+ years strong.