PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions? Torch coral NOT impressed

pulik
03-07-2008, 07:13 PM
My Percula Clowns - or at least one of them - has decided my Torch Coral is nice and cozy. The fish has been in there nuzzling the coral for a week or so now, but the coral's NOT amused! It's not extending fully anymore. I moved it, thinking "out of sight, out of mind", but the Clown's a persistent little brat. So, question is, what could I replace the coral with that would tempt them enough to desist? I read about the Toadstools, but my tank's only a 20 long - soon to be upgraded to 30"x16"x20" (approx. 37 gallons). I'm thinking about moving the torch out for a bit so hopefully the clowns would attach themselves to something more willing.... Just not sure what?

Der_Iron_Chef
03-07-2008, 07:47 PM
It's totally unpredictable, in my experience. The clown will or will not leave it alone :) There's no sure solution. My clownfish, however, was less likely to host in something near the top of the aquarium. Just an idea.

BC564
03-07-2008, 07:54 PM
my clowns are hosting in my torch as well...as first the torch wasnt happy...but now it doesnt care.......took a little while though

Black Phantom
03-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Mine decided to host a pulsing Zenia. When I tried to introduce another on the far side of the tank they attacked it and started to bite the heads off. It seems once they pick a host they stick with it.
They even bring food to the Zenia:lol:

fishguyxd
03-07-2008, 10:11 PM
I would love if my clowns would host in something you should be happy they like you coral and not nipping at them some people try for yrs to get them to host.

pulik
03-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the comments. Problem is, my coral's resenting it to the point of withdawing completey and starting to shrivel. One quadrant appears to be dieing off? Were the coral a larger one, I wouldn't be quite so concerned, and I'd probably feel it could tough it out. Think I'll move it out 'til I get my new tank set up, then place it higher up. Currently a higher placement is not an option, since the tank's only 14" deep; and I originally moved it down since water changes completely exposed it.

fkshiu
03-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Try removing the clowns to a Q-tank for a few days. In the meanwhile, do some rearranging of everything in the tank and maybe add a few other anemone-like options for the clowns to choose from like a big frogspawn or something before putting them back in.

Murminator
03-08-2008, 04:22 AM
1 of my clowns host in my torch once they get the relationship worked out it will be fine :mrgreen:

pulik
03-08-2008, 01:46 PM
So, from the comments, I gather that my torch will NOT commit hara-kiri, even though it appears to be doing precisely that? I really have no reason for worrying? Thanks for the peace of mind! :)