PDA

View Full Version : formalizing a club

Quinn
02-25-2003, 04:22 PM
at tony's house those of you that were there will remember that there was a discussion on formalizing a calgary reef club. the idea didn't seem to have much support.

i don't understand the rules and bylaws on this type of thing (assuming there are some), but it sure would be interesting to attempt to bring some speakers in, or at least have some type of semi-formal meeting with presentations and so on.

the reason i post this is because i noticed on ron shimek's site today that he resides in montana, naturally only a hop skip and jump across the border. what are the chances of bringing someone like him up for a presentation at some point in time? considering the fact that he speaks at a fair number of conferences and such, perhaps he is exorbidantly priced and difficult to book... you'd probably have to advertise in the shops to get enough people to come out, and even then you might not get enough :?

any thoughts on this?

Delphinus
02-25-2003, 04:39 PM
Well ... I for one am still really into the idea of one day formalizing for exactly that reason: if we have a group it is easier to attract speakers to come give a presentation.

The basic impediment to bringing in speakers is cost. Unlike Rob Toonen who happened to be in town anyways last year, usually a society who invites a person needs to reimburse their travelling expenses, plus perhaps a small honorarium. So the kicker is, if only 5 people are interested, it kind of gets expensive. But if you have more, it's less expensive but the flipside is it's really hard to manage a large group of people. That's where the rules and bylaws come into play, whenever you start collecting funds you have to have accountability and so on.

I agree, I don't know what kind of honorarium Dr. Ron would fetch. But it might not be that bad. Never know until you ask!

I bet that, if we could advertise hard enough, and get buy-in from the stores, and the Calgary Aquarium Society, and perhaps even the marine biology crowd at the U (OK ... maybe a bit far fetched, but Dr. Ron does sometimes teach at Bamfield which has an afiliation with UofC!) ... it could be a worthwhile endeavor to do this someday, somehow...

Seriak
02-25-2003, 07:59 PM
Well, as I am in the finance and accounting area, I would be willing to volunteer my services in those areas. Also, I would be willing to contribute to a formalized reef society.

Anyone else?

Canadian Man
02-25-2003, 08:35 PM
I'm in and always will be and always have been.

wayner
02-25-2003, 09:10 PM
I'm in too, providing we don't have to go on bottle drives or sell garbage bags door to door, I have 2 kids in hockey, been there, done that, never again, from now on its " Where's the check book Dear"

Quinn
02-25-2003, 09:53 PM
well if it comes down to it i can throw something in, website or flyer-wise.

Bob I
02-25-2003, 10:48 PM
It would not be terribly hard to do. We need to write a Constitution, which explains the purpose of the society. Also a simple set of bylaws, which states the requirements of the members. In addition we need a dues structure, What we need in the way of officers, and their election. We also need to decide on a year end, and when annual meetings are to be held. There may be more, but that is the basics. If you want to register under the Societies Act, the bylaws need to be submitted to them, along with some fees I think. Who wants to do all this?? please step forward. :P

Quinn
02-25-2003, 11:15 PM
hmm i have to write a resolution for a model united nations thing in edmonton at the end of the week (poli sci class)... :P probably should leave this to a calgarian with more life experience than me though.

kari
02-26-2003, 04:14 AM
I agree with the aboves and will throw in my empties (remaider in cash +/-) :D :shock: :D

kari

EmilyB
02-26-2003, 06:36 AM
I don't know, I could be wrong, but after the Seattle visit, I am thinking sponsorship is a HUGELY important part of the required funding..... :shock:

I mean can you really see any of OUR local LFS sponsoring a visit from Ron Shimek? Do they even know who he is ? :roll:

kgb
02-27-2003, 01:24 AM
ok the club idea is cool and i am down for it but ih ave a question or 2
ok whats the point of a speaker ?so he can come up here and tell us that sps coral are hard to keep or what ? also what makes these people special ?(if this sounds rude i was nt meant to )
also what are some benifts of a club ?

EmilyB
02-27-2003, 02:24 AM

more zoos

christyf5
02-27-2003, 02:40 AM
http://www.crazypics.de/smilies/frech028.gif

Canadian Man
02-27-2003, 03:26 AM
ok the club idea is cool and i am down for it but ih ave a question or 2
ok whats the point of a speaker ?so he can come up here and tell us that sps coral are hard to keep or what ? also what makes these people special ?(if this sounds rude i was nt meant to )
Hey Andrew,
Well some of these fellows that would be considered speakers have written many books, have degrees in marine biology etc, work in certain fields that pertain to the reef hobby, have extensive knowledge, work in labs and ZOO's and can teach us alot.

Cheers

kgb
02-28-2003, 02:22 AM
cool cool
i remeber i used zoo's as slang for zooanthids and now i regret it . i must have confused a hell of alot of people . emily b now is confuseing me wit hthis zoo talk :( hehe

TANGOMAN
03-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Well, after a brief absense, I'm back. Along with that comes the sarcasm and pointless views I'm often wanting to share in overly long forms... :roll:
Bob, you sound so knowledgable of the requirements and given your experience, was it an editor for the CAS ?, carry that ball and let us know what our annual membership will be... :lol:
Debs' right though. It'd require sponsorship so the issue is already dead given our resourses... :wink:
I too will contribute my empties but it will surely pale in comparison to Kari's contribution :wink:
Speakers ? I'm goona' bite my tongue on that one...who would ya' rather gain knowledge from, A Dr. so and so with a PhD in Marine Sciences or some yahoo named TANGOMAN and a bunch of fish geeks that just stink your house up... :?

Seriously though, it would be a great step forward! Especially if we got t-shirts...

Canadian Man
03-10-2003, 01:43 AM
Maybe a calender too :lol:

Quinn
03-10-2003, 02:14 AM
i love t-shirts. nothing says geek like a society membership t-shirt. :P

Canadian Man
03-10-2003, 05:30 AM
i love t-shirts. nothing says geek like a society membership t-shirt. :P :lol: Ahhh hearing this made me laugh hysterically Quinn. I believe the term I just learned is ROTFLMAO?
And more LMAO when I read it again :lol: :lol: :lol:

AJ_77
03-10-2003, 05:36 AM
yeah, that would be really cutting-edge!! "woo-hoo, here comes the calgary chapter!!"

all in the same t-shirts... that is WAY more of a major geek than I ever want to be... (or is it too late already?) :shock:

:lol:

Canadian Man
03-10-2003, 05:40 AM
Sorry Alan, WAYYY Too late! :P :lol: :wink:

EmilyB
03-10-2003, 06:13 AM

The thought of bare chested reefers holding up their Python is way beyond one's wildest imagination........ :shock:

Quinn
03-10-2003, 02:23 PM
count me out on the calendar thing. :P

if we need t-shirts, i'll be happy to do the work to get those done (have had a few t-shirt projects done in the past).

Bob I
03-10-2003, 02:47 PM
I can just imagine the clout I will have when I march into Wai's with my new Tee shirt on, especially when it -20 outside, and it is covered by my parka. Daniel will probably say "hello you ISOB, see anything you like?" :roll: :roll:

Seriak
03-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Hey, what is a ISOB? I am using my imagination, but still nothing. It really is a Monday!

Bob I
03-10-2003, 03:14 PM
Hey, what is a ISOB? I am using my imagination, but still nothing. It really is a Monday!

You know what a SOB is? well isob just has ignorant in front. :D

Seriak
03-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Ahh! Silly me. I should have figured that one out. Although is this really the time for personal criticism? Are you feeling okay? How is everything at work? Your personal life? Are the pressures of your daily life seeming to push you down into a pile of misery? Do you want to talk about it?

Just thought I would ask? :D

AJ_77
03-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Are the pressures of your daily life seeming to push you down into a pile of misery? Do you want to talk about it?
:shock:

SEE - even the discussion around organizing a club is reaping benefits in communication and caring! Even reefing geeks have feelings, and aren't afraid to share them. :lol:

This will limit the membership severely... :wink: I'm up for a calendar shoot, though! Woo-hoo!

Canadian Man
03-10-2003, 05:02 PM

The thought of bare chested reefers holding up their Python is way beyond one's wildest imagination........ :shock:

Good one Deb! :lol:

AJ_77
03-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Oh, she means bare-chested reefer men?

:shock: :oops: (guess that explains the 'python' reference...)

TANGOMAN
03-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Perhaps I should stay away for a while again...a serious topic is posted and along comes Doug with some redundant comment out of left field and then everybody lowers themselves to my level and this place becomes overrun with "sillyness"...gotta' love it !!!

"ISOB" ? I thought you meant intelligent & sexy ol' Bob... :roll: :lol:
Now were all ROTFLOA'sO... :wink:

Lets NOT do the the topless thing, at least not untill Jonathon confirms the visual identity of some members of the Vancouver sanction... :shock: :wink:

EmilyB
03-12-2003, 01:29 AM
Daniel will probably say "hello you ISOB, see anything you like?" :roll: :roll:

Now THAT is funny..... :lol: :lol:

Good to see you back online Doug :D

Canadian Man
03-12-2003, 03:12 AM
Perhaps I should stay away for a while again...a serious topic is posted and along comes Doug with some redundant comment out of left field and then everybody lowers themselves to my level and this place becomes overrun with "sillyness"...gotta' love it !!!

"ISOB" ? I thought you meant intelligent & sexy ol' Bob... :roll: :lol:
Now were all ROTFLOA'sO... :wink:

Lets NOT do the the topless thing, at least not untill Jonathon confirms the visual identity of some members of the Vancouver sanction... :shock: :wink:

:lol: :lol: