PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

eWarren
03-07-2008, 04:45 AM
Can someone tell me why do I have lots of these purplish "thing" in my tank? And how do I get rid of them? Sometime I see these in Big Als and J&L's tanks, too. They say it's harmless and likely its from overfeeding. But I had cut my feeding to almost only four times a week. Will it help if I put in a bigger skimmer or micro algae. :rolleyes:

WuHT
03-07-2008, 06:54 AM
most likely, especially if you are skimming from the surface (where the bubbles aggregate)

Jason McK
03-07-2008, 02:05 PM
It looks like Cyano. How old is your Tank?

J

Der_Iron_Chef
03-07-2008, 02:17 PM
That's what my initial impression was, too (re: cyanobacteria).

eWarren
03-07-2008, 03:38 PM
last Christmas, I upgraded from 75g to 150g. I have a 5g refugium, Coral Life 125 skimmer. While I had 75g, I had it for about 2.5 years and don't have these issue. Will this caused by not big enough skimming? The skimmer is rated for 125g. Anyway, now, this "thing" in the worse day, it would be on the rock, on the side of the glass, on the power head, on the coral, on the surface of the water. It's everywhere!!! :twised: So, if it is this "Canyo"? How do I get rid of it? and what cause this anyway? :neutral:

Toxik
03-07-2008, 04:28 PM
http://reefshow.com/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=109

This is a good read. There are quite a few reasons for cyano and as you go through the article, check with your system what you know to be "OK". Light's for example, if you have brand new bulbs, you should be able to rule that out. Good luck and hang in there, I hated having Cyano.

Black Phantom
03-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Great Link
Do you have an overflow on your tank or do you skim from below the surface. I have the same problem with my 45 as the skimmer wont pick up surface nutrients and I get the same thing. After reading this article I'm going to start pre rinsing my frozen food and stop using flake for a while.

Murminator
03-07-2008, 05:02 PM
You need more flow aim 1 high to chop up the surface of the water

fishytime
03-08-2008, 03:08 AM
Like you said ...you are using a skimmer rated for a 125g tank on a 150g, and also it is a skimmer with a less than stellar reputation. I also agree with Murminator, try aiming a power head towards the surface.

vanreefer
03-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I battled cyano forever... I found getting a larger skimmer mine is "rated" for 450 gal on a 180, and increasing the flow in the tank beyond what I thought was reasonable. I also started rinsing my food 5-6 times beforer I feed it, and running a phosban reactor to lessen the available PO4 in the water collumn. I also gave up on having sand in the tank and went BB (after about a year of frustration)

ElGuappo
03-08-2008, 06:09 PM
i jsut beat a small uprising of cyno.. i did a partial black and added a nano korialia for flow and in 5 days there is bareley any trace. some spots it was 2inches around and now is barely noticable. i also have move aPH to cut the surface water.

eWarren
03-08-2008, 07:19 PM
"i did a partial black and added a nano korialia for flow"

What do you mean by "partial blac" and what is this nano korialia that you add?

ElGuappo
03-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Black out. i only had my lights on for 3 ,1 hour periods. the nano korialia is a powerhead used to add more flow to front of my rock face. this over a 5 day period has obliterated almos all signs on cyno.