PDA

View Full Version : Quarentine

Starry
03-06-2008, 08:59 PM
When adding your first fish to the tank, is it nessasary to quarentine that fish?

Matt
03-06-2008, 09:08 PM
No, there's not really any point, as long as you're not intending to add another fish during your QT period. I really should QT, but I don't, and one day, that's going to hurt.

ElGuappo
03-06-2008, 10:28 PM
No, there's not really any point, as long as you're not intending to add another fish during your QT period. I really should QT, but I don't, and one day, that's going to hurt.

Likewise.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-06-2008, 10:50 PM
If Im reading this correct, this is the first fish going into your display tank?

If so, then absolutely.

Every fish from the first to the last you add to your display get QT'd. Its a simple way to never introduce parasites and disease to your display tank. Why take a chance. Not fair to your fish.

iansfishy
03-07-2008, 01:32 AM
not QTing your first fish is the same as not QTing any fish after that either.

mark
03-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Whole purpose of quarantining fish is to keep any possible parasite, disease etc out of the display. Treating within the tank is possible but could be harder (or not as effective) or depending on method kill the other inhabitants.

It's not that hard to set up a QT.

ElGuappo
03-07-2008, 03:02 AM
is there a thread on setting up a QT tank? i have a 25 G that i am thinking of as i am upgrading my 25G tall FW to a 35 G long.

spoot
03-07-2008, 05:41 AM
Put and HOB filter on the display tank and fill with filter media. After it picks up enough bacteria, use it on your QT set up. Try not having anything permanant and porous in a QT setup, because any medications you use might leach in.

WhoPoopWrasse
03-10-2008, 01:25 AM
I have a knee high panty hose filled with floss that hangs on the pipe coming into my sump (forgot what it's called, I'm pooped:razz:) that way whenever I need to set up a QT I use that floss in the filter and voila! It will already be full of bacteria and pods!

WhoPoopWrasse
03-10-2008, 01:29 AM
By the way adding your first fish to the display without quaranting is like playing Russian Roulette, chances are you will infect your whole tank and then you'll have to leave it empty for 4-8 weeks! Really a drag!:redface:

Starry
03-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Ok, next question. How long do you QT your fish for?

mark
03-11-2008, 03:30 PM
The QT is to observe fish and treat if necessary. Idea is most problems if there would show up at the beginning, start treatment then extend time in QT.

If a fish is problem free for 4 weeks, would say good to go into the display then.

banditpowdercoat
03-11-2008, 04:03 PM
4 weeks in a bare tank, is that hard on th fish?

mark
03-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Yep, but better on the one fish than introducing something like ich to everything else in your display tank.

I've used pieces of PVC pipe, tees, elbow etc for hiding places so it's not like a fish and nothing else. Last time as figured had a sensitive fish, took my macro refugium off-line and placed in it. Figured would observe there and if something did develop would remove to a BB for treatment, then deal with the fuge separately.