PDA

View Full Version : Fish for a 24 gallon

Josh23
03-05-2008, 01:47 AM
I have a 24 gallon nanocube and need some fish suggestions - I'm thinking about four smaller fish...

FISH:
- firefish
- tomato clown
- longnose hawk
- royal grama
- other suggestions

INVERTS:
- urchin
- pom pom crabs
- decorator crab
- other suggestions

Zylumn
03-05-2008, 01:54 AM
This would be a nice setup 3 fish would be ideal.

FISH:
- firefish
- tomato clown (change to O clown)
- longnose hawk
- royal grama (will be the bully)
- gobies?

Kevin

Josh23
03-05-2008, 02:26 AM
I'm going barebottom so I don't think I can keep gobies, what other fish do well with barebottom tanks...

I'm not crazy about O clowns, they don't swim around a lot I want a lot of movement. What else would you recommend?

So far I have:
- firefish
- longnose hawk
- royal grama (or should I not add one due to aggression)

not sure on these:
- tomato clown (change to O clown)
- gobies? (not good in barebottom tanks)

Any other ideas

Zylumn
03-05-2008, 03:42 AM
It took me a while I finally found this site. It will help.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74703
Kevin

Whatigot
03-06-2008, 02:38 PM
you could get a neon goby...
They're parasite eaters and pretty tiny and don't need substrate to be happy and are also very colorful.
Also, try a clown goby, they are by far my favourite nano fish and are very cheap compared to many others and also don't require substrate, not to mention there are several awesome colors and they are very entertaining.
I would say you're 50/50 in a tank that small with having the royal gramma turning mr. t on everyone else.
Maybe an orchid dottyback instead?

digital-audiophile
03-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Neon Gobies are impossible to find right now. I've been looking for one for about three months but with no luck. It does not seem like any are shipping to Canada at present.

Prom my own personal experience I would stay away from a tomato clown. I have two that I am trying currently to catch becuase they are too aggressive and frankly not that nice to look at.

Pier Pressure
03-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I have a royal gramma in a 28 gallon with two true percs and a damsel and SHE is very peaceful. If you make sure to get a female you will not have such troubles with aggression. I had a male and he was nice, too, but got a little too aggressive for that size of tank. Just my personal experience.

Whatigot
03-06-2008, 04:54 PM
I had a Gramma in my 36 bow for a long time and she was never an issue and a great fish to watch.

I bought 3 neon gobies at JL Aquatics about 2 months ago and I think they may still have some, though I guess that doesn't help you much over in Calgary....

ElGuappo
03-06-2008, 05:07 PM
i have herd fire fish dig substrate like a jawfish so this you might want to reconsider. although i think they do fine without.

Myka
03-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I think 24g is too small for a Long Nose Hawk. IMO.

Der_Iron_Chef
03-07-2008, 04:47 PM
The Hawkfish may also eat your inverts....just a thought :)

I think Occelaris Clownfish are very active and entertaining! Classic--can't go wrong.

I love the Bicolor Blenny, but it may not get along with the firefish. I think they have MUCH more personality, though.

fishytime
03-08-2008, 02:57 AM
Like Zylumn said check out the nano reef link. Great general guidline for what you can keep in a smaller reef. I say six line wrasse.