PDA

View Full Version : My New Squid

sumpfinfishe
02-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Well I just installed my new SCWD wavemaker unit yesterday and all I can say is Wow :!: :D .
For a smaller tank like mine I decided that it was better to go with this unit rather than a Sea Swirl setup which would just be overkill for a 27gl reef.
While down in Seattle on the weekend I was able to see for my own eyes how both units operate. The SCDW is designed for small to medium pumps as it will only handle up to 1400 gph at a max of 5 psi, as the Sea Swirls will handle much more.
I am really pleased with this unit, the way it quietly alternates flow back and fourth every 6-8 sec. to both sides of my reef with my existing 802 return powerhead.

On my next setup however, two Sea Swirl's would be the ultimate wavemaker :!:

If anyone wants to add an alternating current to there reef, I highly recomend both of these wavemakers :D
There websites are: 3iQVentures.com and sea-swirl.com
I also took a few snaps after it only took ten minutes to plumb in.
http://www3.telus.net/sumpfinfishe/images/SCWDa.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/sumpfinfishe/images/SCWDb.jpg

CHEAPREEF
02-25-2003, 01:00 AM
Where did you pick it up at and how much $$? Do you think it would handle a Little giant 4md-sc? Your install looks really nice. :D

Clinton

One_Divided
02-25-2003, 01:39 AM
Rich I picked one up from Wendell on the way home.. Looking forward to having my plumbed in.. I will let you know how mine works on my mag5.

-Adam

StirCrazy
02-25-2003, 02:34 AM
are there any long term tests of thease yet? say 6 months or so?

Steve

trilinearmipmap
02-25-2003, 02:49 AM
I haven't seen a squid in person.

However from thinking about how it works, it must take some energy from the water flow in order to perform its switching function.

The question is, how much does this decrease your flow rate, and does it put more back pressure on the pump?

Aquattro
02-25-2003, 02:51 AM
I think we need to cut one in half and see what's inside.

sumpfinfishe
02-25-2003, 04:34 AM
I picked up the unit at Blue Sierra Exotic Fish & Supply in Issaquah WA, which is 15 min. East of dwntwn Seattle. With the exchange I paid $62 Ca.
Your LG would run no problem, as the rates are 50 gph min and 1400 max at a max of 5 psi.

As for back pressure, this is the statement right out of the manual "coupled with unique and patent pending free flow, low back pressure features, this compact product is the best mechanical current generating device available on the market today". Time will tell I guess, this unit works great today-in the future I hope too :!: .

So you couldn't resist eh Adam :wink: Yeah I saw that look in your eyes 8) when we were checking them out at the store. I'm interested to know how much faster yours switches compared to mine. I will take a reading
of the switching speed then post it later. I will start the reading when the right side stops and stop as soon as the left is up to full flow. I'm guessing that it's around 6-9 seconds but I will find out for sure when I find my stopwatch. Adam how much did you pay for it here :?:

Yeah Brad I'm thinking the same :twisted: , it's just that who wants to buy one, then risk damaging it when it works so great :!: I'm sure it's some type of water wheel with two channels cut into it, and as it turns slowly it forces the water through one of the open channels :? just my guess though :wink:

stephane
02-25-2003, 06:31 AM
Salt water connection have them for 59$

I have two runing on a mag18 closed loop in my 130 and it realy nice cheap ting

they run now for around one month

Just2Bad
02-25-2003, 02:01 PM
Where did you pick it up at and how much $$? Do you think it would handle a Little giant 4md-sc? Your install looks really nice. :D

Clinton

I run mine on a little giant 5mdsc so you're ok with your 4mdsc

CHEAPREEF
02-25-2003, 02:27 PM
Cool, going to order one. What size are inlet and outlets on these bad boys?

Clinton

sumpfinfishe
02-25-2003, 02:39 PM
I used 1 inch flex hose with a 3/4 inch inside diameter for a good fit. I would however recomend hose clamps, as the intake and return outlets have only a single rib for the hose to fit over.

Rich :D

Just2Bad
02-25-2003, 02:59 PM
Inlet and outlet on the squid are 3/4"

sumpfinfishe
02-25-2003, 03:25 PM
Just2Bad wrote-Inlet and outlet on the squid are 3/4 inch

Sorry for any :? I may have caused :!: , as I guess that by stating that the 3/4 hose was a good fit
was not clear enough :!:

One_Divided
03-04-2003, 06:35 AM
I finally plumbed in mine today and I must say, I am very pleased with it so far. A quality piece of equipment IMO..

I almost want to hook up another one in a closed loop and lose a couple PHs..

How Much did I pay? A bit less then you.. That's all I will say..

I will time it tomorrow, but I think it is pretty close to yours..