PDA

View Full Version : How do you train a Sun Coral?

pulik
03-04-2008, 03:54 PM
As the title indicates, how do I encourage a Sun Coral to open all polyps (or whatever the correct name) for feeding, and then how would I approach training it to become diurnal? It's a new addition, and I'm not sure how to proceede. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

untamed
03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
By the clock... Regular feedings at the same time of day, everyday.

pulik
03-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks; but first off, how do I get it to even know it's feeding time, and open up so I can feed it?

Sorry for being so obtuse....:redface:

untamed
03-04-2008, 04:30 PM
It will detect food in the water and open up. Add some food, then return to the tank for feeding about 30 or more minutes later. Eventually, you'll find the sun corals open before you add any food at all.

Der_Iron_Chef
03-04-2008, 05:10 PM
I used to feed the fish mysis, and then wait for it to open up. Like Untamed said, it'll sense the food in the water. After a while, it will just open up at that same time every day, expecting food.

skylord
03-04-2008, 05:29 PM
I would use a turkey baster and and blow a little mysis by it real close. Another trick is to use a 1 or 2 litter pop bottle with the bottom cut off. Then use the turkey baster and put their food in through the neck of the bottle. A few days of that and you have what you want.

Scott

Seriak
03-04-2008, 05:30 PM
I used to take a baster and put the frozen mysis in the bottom and suck up some of my water with it. I would the wait a second and squirt the mysis water at the polyps before the actual mysis had completely thawed. I would then leave for a few minutes and by the time the mysis was thawed the polyps woud all be out.