PDA

View Full Version : FS: Foxface(Sherwood Park)

Powertec
03-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi there.

My wife just bought a foxface not realizing that it could potentially kill the other fish. So it is in our sump and has been since she got it yesterday.I'm just not willing to take the chance:)

He/She is 4inches with great colour and eats we'll from what i have seen.

Looking for $30.00

Thanks

Joe Reefer
03-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I wouldnt worry so much. Its not like he is going to run around your tank trying to stab other fish. The foxface that I had was the most timid fish, it was never agro to other fish.

Powertec
03-04-2008, 03:02 PM
I guess my concern is i have a fairly aggressive purple tang who would just love the opportunity to take a run at him. And the purple tang was the only one who made it through the move so i am kinda attached to him.

Joe Reefer
03-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Its your choice, but I would try it out.

Interior_Reef
03-04-2008, 03:55 PM
I'd Try it out too. My foxface gets along great with all my tangs. even lets you pet him. LOL

just not on the spines.

Okguy
03-04-2008, 04:16 PM
If your tang attacked him he would more likely get an equivalent to a bee sting and learn his lesson quickly not to go after him. Yes the spines are venomous but like a bee sting they are only deadly if you are allergic. This is a very peaceful fish that is not going to look for trouble, the spines are for defense only and not for attacking. They are really quite timid and pleasant. I hand feed mine every night.

Here is some info about them from marinedepotlive.com

Behavior: The Foxface Rabbitfish may act peacefully toward other fish. THIS FISH IS VENEMOUS. The dorsal fins of this fish can cause extreme pain. Severe reactions can occur if allergic. If stung soak injured area in hot water and seek medical attention.

General Notes: The Lo Vulpinus is a very bright yellow addition to your tank. This fish is often used to control hair algae and in some cases red turf algae in your tank. They are relatively friendly to other fish. Will school as juveniles, but prefers a solitary life as adults. The Fox Face Rabbitfish are reported to occasionally pick a little at zoanthids and Large Polyp Stony Corals.

Your Purple Tang is going to attack any new fish that you put in your tank (it's just their nature) but if you are going to add a new fish and Foxface is probably one of the best because the Tang will quickly learn to leave it alone of get stung.

HTH

scorpio73
03-04-2008, 11:33 PM
if you want to get rid of him/her still email me cmass@telus.net

Black Phantom
03-05-2008, 02:37 AM
I wouldnt sell him. Best fish I've had. He's super tough and can survive just about anything. Very docile and no problem. Mine coexists with a Naso and Hippo tang as well as some very docile as well as aggresive fish. He will do the big flair to warn them off if he gets stressed but other than that he is great. Not only that but he will eat just about anything put in the tank. Mine eats out of my hand all the time.

SeaShell
03-05-2008, 06:23 PM
My Foxy was one of my last additions. Unfortunately for him, though, I had two large and nasty damsels in the tank.

Foxy was wonderful. The damsels would take a run at him, he'd put up his spines and lean toward them.... they'd back off fast and try again later. He never chased them or attempted to spine them, he just defended himself when they came chasing. The damsels never came in contact with the spines. This lasted for two days and now they all live in harmony. Foxy is a shy, unassuming fish who just goes about his business!

He's a wonderful addition to my tank, and I never once had concerns that any of my fish were in danger. I vote that you put him in your tank!

gqlmao
03-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Same here, I think the chances of the fox face stabbing another fish is quite slim, its personality is worth wild and definitely worth a shot in your tank. IMO :biggrin:

Lynn
03-23-2008, 03:05 PM
powertec you really do not have to worry about your other fish. Foxface are very mild and only raise their spines in self defense. Your concern should be that your careful when your hands are in the tank. You don't want to accidently come in contact with her. I just lost mine that I had since 2001 and it was a amazing fish. She ate gently from my hand, never ever bothered any new fish that were ever added over the years and kept my tank totally clear of algae. Never realized until her death how much "algae cleaning" she must have been doing!
My humble opinion is to put her in and enjoy!

mark
03-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I got a Purple Tang and Foxface (Lando's) they're always swimming together, no aggression between the two.

Glennrf38
03-23-2008, 03:54 PM
My fox face is very docile. He seems to swim well with the other fish (mostly tangs) and it kinda kewl watching him pulse his spines when the other fish act aggressive towards him.