PDA

View Full Version : LF browned out SPS fargs for filefish

nanoreefer
03-04-2008, 10:44 AM
iam looking for some browned out, dieing, flatworm infested dosent realy matter as long as theres still some polyp extenshion for the fish to feed on, i would realy like acro if psossibel, but if anyone has some SPS at reasonable prices and dosent mind it being being fish food i will try it, just so everyone knows i dont have the fish(s) yet(orange spot filefish)but iam planning on getting them in afew days so i whant to know if any SPS frags are around or before i do, and i will be trying to get them on other food of course sence an all SPS diet would get pretty costley iam sure.

thanks

tang daddy
03-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Just to let you know unless you have a tank full of stony corals the filefish will eventually starve and die.

They need to eat alot of polyps and that will only last for a few weeks at max that's considering you have a small colonie, most don't fare well to food you have to offer eg. mysis,flakes.

If you do decide on keeping this animal definately get an a. mille or prostrata as these have the most polyp extension IME and can survive in most tanks, great for starters.

Also keep in mind that most acroporas do not polyp extend when the lights are on because they get their source of food from light at night they extend polyps to feed.

There are alot more easier fish to keep that eat stonie corals aswell as anything you have to offer.... Their even fall under the same categorie check out a toby puffer.

nanoreefer
03-05-2008, 05:51 AM
yes i know how hard they are to feed but ive heard some interesting things about them and sence BAs has 8 or more of them witch will die anyway i figured i would try one(or two)and see if i can start it on SPS and get it moveed on to live enriched adult brine shrimp and frozen food, it will be going into a macro type tank with seahorses(hopefully!), pipefish and mandarins so no fast aggresive eaters to deel with, there will be no SPS in the tank mabie some softies but thats it, iam quite sure without fast feeding fish around they will take live brine enriched with selco pretty quick,

tang daddy
03-05-2008, 08:27 PM
You can try it.....
In that case I have some brown sps that fell into the rear of my tank recently I pulled them out with a handfull of other frags so if you want hit me up with a pm!