PDA

View Full Version : Sump plumbed to water drain

Rene
03-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Has anyone tryed to plumb there sump to the house water drain to prevent flooding? If so how did it work?

If you've done this, could you please post a pic?

prosnow
03-03-2008, 09:03 PM
i dont see why you couldnt...have a bulkhead towards the top of your sump plumbed into your line, you'd have to have a pee trap or whatever there called to prevent gasses from coming back into the tank...plus if you have that plumbed you could add another line to directly dump your waterchange water.

my 2 cents, but what the hell do i know i'm an electrician

untamed
03-03-2008, 09:04 PM
My system is directly connected to the house drain in two places.

1) The Water Change Sump has a drain valve. I collect 50 gallons in this sump...open the drain valve...close the drain valve...and refill to 50 gallons. That's a water change.

2) The main sump has an overflow that runs directly to drain. This overflow has never been used, and I really think it is impossible for this sump to ever fill that much. In fact, it is probably a liability now more than a safety net because it exposes the system to a possible backflow from the household drain up and into the sump. (that would be bad) I meant to put a check valve on this overflow, but I never got around to it.

Sorry...no photos available.

fkshiu
03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Could open up a can of worms plumbing directly into your home drainage system. As untamed mentioned there's the possibility of backflow from the rest of the house as well as sewer gases if the proper trap isn't installed.

A properly designed sump should be able to handle any expected overflow from the main tank. Having a tiled floor and a floor drain next to the tank would be the ultimate safety mechanism even if your whole tank suddenly decided to explode on you.

mark
03-04-2008, 02:38 AM
Could tie to the house drain, don't have to make a hard connect, but do something like a washing machine trap or even just a hose to a sink or floor drain.

Personally, I would put my efforts to designing a system that wouldn't flood.

Zylumn
03-04-2008, 03:23 AM
[QUOTE
Personally, I would put my efforts to designing a system that wouldn't flood.[/QUOTE]

Kevin

digital-audiophile
03-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Could tie to the house drain, don't have to make a hard connect, but do something like a washing machine trap or even just a hose to a sink or floor drain.

Personally, I would put my efforts to designing a system that wouldn't flood.

This is basically what I want to do when I revamp my sump.. since it is in the furnace room beside the floor drain I want to put a 3/4 bulkhead at the bottom of the tank w/ball valve for water changes and the top for an emergency overflow, both would just "drain" into the floor drain via flex pvc, nothing hard wired just sitting on the floor much the same as your furnace humidifier drain.