PDA

View Full Version : mushrooms making spiderwebs???

chevyjaxon
03-03-2008, 12:11 AM
ok this is weird my mushroom corals made a spider web and it was flapping around in my water almost extending to the surface i was thinking this cant be good so i removed it (the spiderweb) what exactly is going on here?? im clueless and this is new to me is this bad or good? any thoughts?

scumchug
03-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Sounds like it could be Vermetid snails.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php

chevyjaxon
03-03-2008, 12:40 AM
what is that??:neutral:

chevyjaxon
03-03-2008, 01:05 AM
ok followed the thread interesting though i never seen any snails on that coral,
the picture looked the same as what i seen though.

scumchug
03-03-2008, 02:01 AM
They don't look like a typical snail. More like a tube worm, (feather duster). I have never heard of them doing any damage other than being unsightly, and competing for food with corals.

If you want to get rid of them, just follow the web to where it meets the tube, and stick a toothpick, or bamboo skewer down the hole.

chevyjaxon
03-03-2008, 02:05 AM
well no i dont want to get rid of them i was just worried about my coral being sick as i see it everything has a place in the food web the more the merrier right?:smile:

lastlight
03-03-2008, 04:43 AM
Weird that is EXACTLY what I did (bamboo skewer) when I had one. Be thorough as the thing is incredibly hardy and can survive a real stabbing and rebuild. The web seemed to annoy some corals nearby. The tube is very hard...i cut it flush with the rock with wire snips and then skewered deeper.

They don't look like a typical snail. More like a tube worm, (feather duster). I have never heard of them doing any damage other than being unsightly, and competing for food with corals.

If you want to get rid of them, just follow the web to where it meets the tube, and stick a toothpick, or bamboo skewer down the hole.

justinl
03-03-2008, 07:12 AM
if a mushroom gets angry for whatever reason, it can secrete mucous which might be what you're seeing (as opposed to the snails). nothing much to worry over though. If my shrooms do that, i usually remove it though, just out of habit really.