PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions on my sump design

rocketlily
03-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I've designed the sump to fit under a 99 gal corner tank. With it being in a corner, space is very limited. I've attached a picture of the design I've come up with. Water would enter from the tank into the skimmer section and go to the return area over and under baffles. Water would enter and exit the refugium section from both the skimmer and return area via holes or slots in the acrylic. Each section is approx 11 gal. with the total being around 33 gal. I plan to build the complete sump out of 3/8" acrylic. Height would be 18".

Could I please have your opinions about what is right and what is wrong with the design.

Thank you

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/Sump4.jpg

mseepman
03-02-2008, 09:35 PM
So are you saying that the holes or slots in the fuge are ways in which the water can avoid traveling through the baffles? How much flow are you expecting in your fuge?

rocketlily
03-02-2008, 09:48 PM
I have no idea of what kind of flow will go through the refugium. I didn't think that a great amount was necessary. I just wanted some to travel through there and most of it to go throught the baffles.

The design I used was kind of a take off of one on Mels.

Okguy
03-02-2008, 09:56 PM
I made one that is quite similar out of Acrylic.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/Okguys_tank/mytank4.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/Okguys_tank/mytank3.jpg

You can do several different things to control the flow through the Fuge. You can T off the overflow and have some of the water entering the Fuge section and control the flow using a valve.

Or if you want an easier way to reduce the flow through the Fuge you can make the teeth a little higher on the baffles, entering the Fuge compared to the teeth of the baffles entering the return area. This will result in most of the water going directly from the skimmer into the return area.

HTH

banditpowdercoat
03-03-2008, 02:57 AM
I have a 45g corner and was thinking of making a sump like that. Just have a 10G sump right now. Got to learn to do acrylic, or find someone to build me one hint hint

Dale
03-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Hi rocketlily,

Three concerns that come to mind regarding refugiums are:

Designing too small a space to be effective for nutrient reduction
Low flow designs that become problematic nutrient sinks
Using Macro alga's that don't fit the design

When designing a fuge I think it's important to be quite specific about the function you want it to serve and the type of macro algae you might stock. The more specific at the design stage, the better the end result. A refugium can:

be used for nutrient conversion/export
be a breeding place for micro organisms
be a quiet place for delicate fish or corals
be stocked with macro algae, live rock, sandbeds or mud beds.

Any thoughts on your proposed application?

Boomboy
03-03-2008, 05:00 AM
ive got an idea why not switch your return pump and your refugium and instead of the long part for your refugium why not cut that part off, and make the now switched refuge and put one or two more baffles in there.

rocketlily
03-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi rocketlily,

Three concerns that come to mind regarding refugiums are:

Designing too small a space to be effective for nutrient reduction
Low flow designs that become problematic nutrient sinks
Using Macro alga's that don't fit the design

When designing a fuge I think it's important to be quite specific about the function you want it to serve and the type of macro algae you might stock. The more specific at the design stage, the better the end result. A refugium can:

be used for nutrient conversion/export
be a breeding place for micro organisms
be a quiet place for delicate fish or corals
be stocked with macro algae, live rock, sandbeds or mud beds.

Any thoughts on your proposed application?

I am not sure what I'lll be doing in the fuge at this time, but I want a design that will not limit me in the future.

Okguy
03-03-2008, 03:20 PM
I am not sure what I'lll be doing in the fuge at this time, but I want a design that will not limit me in the future.

Too keep your options open, I suggest T'ing off the overflow and using a valve to control the flow through the Refugium. This will allow you to control the flow with absolute certainty.

I have a 45g corner and was thinking of making a sump like that. Just have a 10G sump right now. Got to learn to do acrylic, or find someone to build me one hint hint

Ha, Ha. I'm the biggest spaz when it comes to building things. I just followed the instructions on Melev's Reef website http://www.melevsreef.com/
The only thing I did differently (other than twisting the design) was I went to a glass shop to have my acrylic cut (which is the hardest part of the entire build). Just make sure you tell them to cut the acrylic with a saw and not score it with a knife.

Seriously if I can do it, anyone can :mrgreen:

Kevin

Marlin65
03-04-2008, 04:06 AM
Ha, Ha. I'm the biggest spaz when it comes to building things. I just followed the instructions on Melev's Reef website http://www.melevsreef.com/
The only thing I did differently (other than twisting the design) was I went to a glass shop to have my acrylic cut (which is the hardest part of the entire build). Just make sure you tell them to cut the acrylic with a saw and not score it with a knife.

Seriously if I can do it, anyone can :mrgreen:

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Cut Acrylic on the table saw with a carbide blade. Use wood hole saws with cooling to drill holes and make sure your edges are absolutely straight and smooth for a good fit.:wink: