PDA

View Full Version : Request for help in new refuge set-up

Lance
03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi Everyone. Just finished building new sump/fuge for a 90 gal mixed reef, and have a couple questions. The fuge section of the sump holds about 25 gal. I am planning on a 3"-4" sand base and about 20 lbs live rock. First question: How much and what kind of light to maintain a decent macro-algae colony? (15" deep from light to sand base). Second question: What kinds of macro do you recommend? caulerpa?, chaeto?, mixed? What about mangrove, and where do Ifind some? Any advice appreciated.
Lance

mark
03-02-2008, 04:47 PM
I've got a 27W PC on my separate 20g fuge, grows chaeto great. For macro mostly it's Chaeto though have some Halimeda and grape caulerpa.

Observation from mine, I run ~200 gph straight from the BB display to it with no pre-filtering. As the fuge is just LR no sand I can see lots of detritus settling that I need to siphon out. I was going to put in a sand bed for pods (zero NO3 so DSB not needed for that) but after seeing the amount of crud, think I won't unless I run the raw water through a filter sock first.

Lance
03-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I've got a 27W PC on my separate 20g fuge, grows chaeto great. For macro mostly it's Chaeto though have some Halimeda and grape caulerpa.

Observation from mine, I run ~200 gph straight from the BB display to it with no pre-filtering. As the fuge is just LR no sand I can see lots of detritus settling that I need to siphon out. I was going to put in a sand bed for pods (zero NO3 so DSB not needed for that) but after seeing the amount of crud, think I won't unless I run the raw water through a filter sock first.

Yeah, I'm planning on growing pods. Will run 2 lines from the overflow to the skimmer chamber and through 2 filter socks. Where do i find Chaeto, Halimeda and grape caulerpa? Thanks Lance

mseepman
03-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Usually macros can be had from fellow reefers best. They are usually cost efficient and you can see that they are healthy. Find out who in your area has a fuge with macro and discuss getting some clippings.

I have Halimeda and will be getting Chaeto shortly again. Both work well.

Lance
03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Usually macros can be had from fellow reefers best. They are usually cost efficient and you can see that they are healthy. Find out who in your area has a fuge with macro and discuss getting some clippings.

I have Halimeda and will be getting Chaeto shortly again. Both work well.

Thanks for the help
Lance

marie
03-02-2008, 06:38 PM
I have a couple of different kinds of caulerpa you could have but I also have that evil red cottonball algae that needs to be carefully picked off or else it will take over your tank

I also have chaeto as well but it's even harder to make sure there is no cottonball algae on it

untamed
03-02-2008, 06:48 PM
I started with Chaeto, but the refugium seems to want to grow hair algae more than anything else. So...it is full of hair algae. Better it grow here than in the display tank!

spoot
03-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I grow chaeto in mine, works great for nutrient export. And you can usually bring it in for store credit when you got a lot.

Lance
03-03-2008, 04:06 AM
I have a couple of different kinds of caulerpa you could have but I also have that evil red cottonball algae that needs to be carefully picked off or else it will take over your tank

I also have chaeto as well but it's even harder to make sure there is no cottonball algae on it

Thanks Marie. I'll take some. I don't mind picking off the bad stuff. PM me and let me know when you want me to pick it up.

marie
03-03-2008, 05:26 AM
I should be home most of the day tomorrow if you want to come by

Lance
03-03-2008, 06:04 AM
I should be home most of the day tomorrow if you want to come by

OK

mark
03-03-2008, 02:19 PM
I grow chaeto in mine, works great for nutrient export. And you can usually bring it in for store credit when you got a lot.

and here I am afraid to even give it away as my tank might have ich