PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic in Fraser Valley

czar
03-02-2008, 03:46 AM
I'm considering building my own tank and seeing as how acrylic seems like it'd be easier to work with, I'm thinking an acrylic tank is the way to go.

Where's the best place to get it in the Fraser Valley? Also what is the best brand to use? I know Industrial paints and Plastics has it, but how's their pricing and quality?

This will be my first time working with acrylic so any tips or tricks for acrylic is welcome as well.

Thanks in advance.

StirCrazy
03-02-2008, 04:15 AM
building a tank is a pretty ambitious project for a first on in acrylic. while it is easer to cut, it is a lot harder than glass to join properly. this becomes more so as you get larger in size. I would recomend getting some scraps that are the thickness you are going to use for the tank and practice doing but joints untill you can get them perfect (ie bubble free and invisable joint) also with acrylic you are going to need a few pricey items to be able to get that perfect joint. a deicent saw blade for acrylic (mine cost 160.00) a good router and bit, files, sand paper, scraper. most places that cut plastic for you don't worry about the quality of the cut and are not ready for glue so there is a lot of prep work befor the glue.

Steve

untamed
03-02-2008, 05:12 AM
I agree. I've managed to build a few things out of acrylic and would still not venture to build an aquarium myself. I just don't have the tools necessary to get the cuts absolutely smooth and flat so that I can get a good joint.