PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Wave boxes

24storm
03-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Any is anyone running multiple wave boxes? If so how do you have them setup at apposing ends or at the same end? Tank is a 220 6 foot.
I have one right now but think i want to add another.
I also have two 6100's do you think this will be to much flow?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks Keith

Delphinus
03-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I bought two waveboxes for my 280g which is 72x30x30.

I have only done a few test runs of a few minutes with two but I can say that you will definitely need to have planned for a LOT of water movement if you want two. I don't think I have enough space at the top of my tank (ie. the height above the overflow line) to accomodate. I haven't tried all combinations though, I'm trying to see if there's a way I can make a double-wave. Might be hard to do with only 6' though, the tank resonance is pretty short as it is (ie., the optimal setting on the timer is barely 15-20% of scale and to get a double wave it needs to be 1/2 of the tank resonance. Eg., if your setting is 8 seconds then you'd need to set it at 4).

Now, I did find an interesting phenomenon with twice the resonance (eg. 16 seconds), I got a side to side wave AND a front to back wave. I might run with this if I keep both on this tank (I might not, I'm still fantasizing about a long shallow frag tank that the other wavebox would be good for). The water movement was around 1" on the corners which might be acceptable to me (I won't really know until I have the final plumbing in place).

But I can tell you that two waveboxes, side by side, and on the same channel (as opposite to opposite channels) gave me about a 6" wave (no really, 6") within 10 seconds and it was still building. I had to quickly unplug them and even at that I still had water rolling over the sides of the tank. A really cool effect but my tank is not built to accomodate that kind of vertical water movement. Which is too bad .. I mean it was really awesome to behold but even at 1" of vertical I might be pushing the envelopes for this tank (they really did not give me a lot of options with the overflow when they built this tank ... however at the cost and the amount of effort it was to get it in place, I'm well past the point of "go back and get a different tank built".