PDA

View Full Version : Coarse vs. Fine Calcium reactor media

Stones
03-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Just wondering if anyone could comment on their experience using either the coarse or fine media in their calcium reactors. From the sounds of it, the coarse media is 'suppposed' to use less Co2, prevent channelization, and avoid the build up of the calcium sludge that develops after a few months if using a fine media. However, I've also read that the coarse media actually uses more Co2 and produces less of calcium/alk outuput than does the fine media. Just thought I'd see if anyone had a preference to which media they prefer and why. Thanks.

christyf5
03-01-2008, 03:09 PM
For my original reactor which was an Aquarium Essentials model from Ocean Aquatics, I used the fine Caribsea ARM media. I used this reactor for about 3-4 years until something went screwy in it and the water within reached 101F. (there were other heating issues within the tank but tank water was only 90F I suspect some media got caught in the pump or something). Anyway, after taking apart the reactor to clean it (a very intensive process) I decided to try out the larger grade media from Caribsea. I must say that I had a heck of a time fiddling with the CO2 settings to get it to melt and to keep my ca and alk on track. Eventually I gave up and bought a new reactor altogether (good price and right timing) which is a Schuran Pico and uses the larger grade Schuran media. Once dialed in, I've never had a problem and this stuff goes through media pretty rapidly. I've had it for about 8 months now and I've had to fill it twice. Granted it doesn't really take a lot of media.

Anyway, the schuran reactors are supposed to be super efficient which I don't really get, the pH has to reach 6.2 to properly melt the media and I think the caribsea ARM melted at a much higher pH (like 6.8-7.2 or something) which seems to me that it would be more efficient that way. I know I've had to fill my CO2 tank twice in the time I've had the schuran and usually its once every 9-12 months.

Anyway, now that I've got it all squared away I'm just as happy with this larger media as I am the finer grained stuff. However it was not successful for my "classic style" reactor (or at least I couldn't figure it out and got tired of fiddling with it).

mark
03-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Read for the larger media to work, you need a reactor least with CO2 recir.

Pescador
03-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Read for the larger media to work, you need a reactor least with CO2 recir.
Which I think usually means upflow.
I switched from a K2R to a Geo which uses the larger media and so far it seems to use a little less C02 and it's going through less media.