PDA

View Full Version : foods for scooter blenny

kgb
02-23-2003, 07:30 AM
any one know what they really like i tried brine shrimp and that was a no go so i think i am going to get either blood worms or mysis

Canadian Man
02-23-2003, 03:08 PM
My scooter really liked blood worms and pretty much nothing else.

Bob I
02-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Scooters are related to Mandarins, and have the same requirements ie. lots of live rock with a good supply of pods. My own experience with them has not been good. They appeared to eat along with the other fish, but in time just wasted away and died. :( :(

BCOrchidGuy
02-23-2003, 05:17 PM
I agree with rcipema I haven't had much luck with them either, what I did find is that they require an almost constant supply of food, if you look at them after a feeding their stomach will be visibly full, but very very soon afterwards it will have a hollow stomach.

Canadian Man
02-23-2003, 05:18 PM
I just lost my scooter :( last week
I had him for 1 year and 8 months and then he just stopped eating alltogether.

Pansy-Paws
02-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Sorry you lost your little guy, Jonathan :cry: We've had such poor luck with them (tried 1 mandarin and 2 scooter blennies -not at the same time) starving and dying that we've given up on them for our set up.

Dorkel Marine 1
02-24-2003, 05:08 AM
Sorry for all your losses guys. When I was first looking at saltwater fish at J&L I fell in love with the little scooter blennies. John thou was very forthright and said unless you have a lot of alive rock forget it. I did however get a bicolor blenny. He's a real joy to watch. almost everyone who comes here to visit, even those who are not remotely interested in fishtanks have to stop and smile when they see my Mr. Blenny. He's the first fish I've actually named. So maybe you guys could try one if your success with scooters has not been so good. Just a thought.

George

Michael
02-24-2003, 12:56 PM
I agree with rcipema I haven't had much luck with them either, what I did find is that they require an almost constant supply of food, if you look at them after a feeding their stomach will be visibly full, but very very soon afterwards it will have a hollow stomach.

-I've had a scooter blennie for 4 months. My tank has lots of algae, 4 bunches of calupera , and the sand bed has algae on it. I think he has enough food, but never see him eat brine shrimp flakes, or blood worms. I don't know if he doesn't see them, or if he doesn't like them.
I do see him eating from the sandbed, eating the algae on the sandbed.
--Do you think he will be okay?
--I know mandarins are very hard to keep, but I thought scooters were easier.
--Oh, I also see him jumping up on the live rock, eating algae.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Michael

Pansy-Paws
02-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Hi Michael. Ours never ate blood worms, flakes or any of the frozen foods. It was so frustrating -- the foods would actually hit the little dummies in the face! We thought we'd be ok because we do have lots of live rock (and we see the copepods and other little foods on the rocks), but at first the mandarin and blennies barely ate enough to stay alive and finally stopped even that. Hope you have really good luck with Mr. Blennie. Could it be how they were caught, i.e. cyanide for the ones that don't last long and other methods for the ones that do better :?:

Scales
02-24-2003, 05:58 PM
IME Scooter Blennies require a small time commitment to ensure they are fed properly (in addition to having a mature system with natural sources of food). I have kept three SB's over the years and all have readily eaten frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms. However, the problem seems to be in the quantity of these foods the SB obtains in competition with the other inhabitants. Food in my tank rarely hits the bottom. To keep my SB's "fat", I lightly force (it is still visible for the most part) a small portion of frozen bloodworm into the sand (same spot each time). This usually allows the SB to get some before the others gobble it up (especially the CBS). Seems to work for me.

Trevor

Michael
02-24-2003, 07:04 PM
IME Scooter Blennies require a small time commitment to ensure they are fed properly
<snip>
To keep my SB's "fat", I lightly force (it is still visible for the most part) a small portion of frozen bloodworm into the sand (same spot each time). This usually allows the SB to get some before the others gobble it up (especially the CBS). Seems to work for me.

Trevor

Thanks for the idea! I will try putting the blood worms in the sand. Currently he doesn't have too much competition for food (shy damsel and 2 peppermint shrimp).

Michael

kgb
02-24-2003, 09:33 PM
well this sorta sucks hehe ( got him 2 days ago for my birth day and had no disicion in the process) i really like him he always comes to great me when i sit infront of the tank. i just hope he lives :)