PDA

View Full Version : Sound absorption panels for unside stand??

banditpowdercoat
02-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Has anyone experimented with sound absorbing panels fro inside the stand? Just got a Aqua C Urchin skimmer, and with the Drain(durso is quiet but bubbles in sump are not) Was thinking of somehting to deaden the sound? My stand is MDF thats covered in black plastic veneer which makes it echo and sound louder...

What you all use? Brand names so I can go to Rona and get some

Thx in advance

mark
02-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Never did, but have thought about lining the inside of my stand with ceiling acoustic tiles, the 2x4' size that are used for t-bar ceilings. Would cut easy for fitting.

I don't have the sump below the stand (just CL pump) but if did and was worried about moisture, could glue the glass side to the stand and have the plastic side facing out and join edges with Tuck-tape

kwirky
02-29-2008, 02:03 AM
i've used them in computers. Don't bother, I think. Our pumps produce similar noise signatures to computer fans and that noise proofing doesn't solve it. It only made computer cases super heavy.

mark
02-29-2008, 04:24 AM
kwirky, was it the fiber glass panels or the cellulose type?

iansfishy
02-29-2008, 06:00 AM
i use celfort. the hard pink styrofoam from revy or windsor. it comes in 2+8 sheets. works decent

iansfishy
02-29-2008, 06:01 AM
is your outlest pipe submerged into your sump? that may help

banditpowdercoat
02-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Ian, Ya both pipes are submerged. My setup is one drain from Tank, into two sump lines. One at each end of the sump. Skimmer>pump<Refugeum Is my plan, but dont think I'll have enough room in 10g sump. Quite a bit of air comes down the Durso drain. I have small air holes drilled into the top of the Durso too, 6 .045" holes. Just enough to stop the water in the overflow from surging. Most my noise is from Durso gurgling too.

kwirky
02-29-2008, 03:51 PM
i've used DynaMat. It's like a compressed tar material. Didn't work on computers very well.

banditpowdercoat
02-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Dynamat is more for deep, low frequency sounds. Not fans and Pumps. I have installed many pounds of Dynamat in my vehicles

mastergunsg
04-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Dyna mat is a Damper by far the most common type of material. It uses mass loading to lower panel resonance and absorb structural vibrations

then there are absorber's usually an open/closed cell foam. this slows the transmission of the sound.

barrier's are usually a heavy material like hi density glass reinforced rubber or even lead, a barrier is usually around 1 pound per square foot.

By using these three materials in conjunction with each other produces the best results. You can buy composite materials but they usually are pretty expensive IMO. as i like to do things as frugally as possible :biggrin:

I'm going to try using some common construction materials that are readily available to be used as dampeners and absorbers. They wont work as well as materials designed specifically for reducing noise but i can probably get them cheap or even free as waste from some of the job sites I'm usually on. I might break down and buy a barrier to go along with the other materials as I would like my tank as silent as possible, but i haven't decided yet. I will let you guys know how things work out and if the materials do work well ill post with the brand names of the items for you all to try.

banditpowdercoat
04-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Ya, Dynamat adds MASS to whatever its attached to, makes that harder to vibrate with sound waves. I am looking for Absorbing. Like the eggcrate type foam that you see in anechoic chambers used for sound measuring.

mastergunsg
04-05-2008, 10:01 AM
The egg crate type foam helps with reduction Hi frequency sound waves reflecting off of surfaces (echo)and thats why its so good for sound measuring rooms,but as its a lightweight open cell foam it wont do much for the reduction of sound waves transmitting Through the surfaces of the stand itself. Thats why i would like to try a few different materials, in layers as this is the best method for reducing sound. I have seen a few products that i believe that will work well. I just cant remember the brand names or where to get them here in Vancouver i know they are available as i see them on allot of different job sites. So ill make some inquiries when I go to work on Monday.