PDA

View Full Version : Am i forgetting anything on the new tank setup?

spikehs
02-23-2003, 02:00 AM
I'll be getting this new tank as soon as my tax refunds come back.

-36x18x18
-1 corner overflow
-2 3/4inch returns.
-1pump @ ~1000gph
-1 SCWD
- there will be 2 175w 10k bulbs over it + actinics
-dripping kalk some way, + 2 part additives.
-no skimmer (yet anyways)

I plan to put a ~5inch dsb, and have about 50-80pounds lr. I am planning on building to rock piles in both back corners, all the way to the top. Then have the 2 returns (possibly split into 3diff directions each) pointing at the piles. Maybe one side for sps and one side for everything else....I like having a nice open look to the tank so hopefully this will work. Anyone have any suggestions? i dont want to forget anything when it is too late.

Thanks.

Jack
02-23-2003, 02:12 AM
Might want to have a refugium and have the DSB in there. 18" hight isn't that much when you add a 5" DSB.

spikehs
02-23-2003, 02:17 AM
yah i was contemplating that...i section off part of the sump so that will be nice and deep, plus i want to hook up a refugium, so i can but the baby banggai's + macro in.

Aquattro
02-23-2003, 02:47 AM
I think you might find a 3" sandbed does the same thing as a 5" sandbed. My sandbed is 3" at it's deepest point, and as far as I can tell, it does everything it's supposed to. Especially if you're putting 80 pounds of rock in there.

spikehs
02-23-2003, 05:20 PM
yah, the more i think about it 5inches would take away a lot of room in the tank, but if i have a dsb in the refugium and sump then that should help out. I have heard of people building "pod piles" that are supposdely good for helping the popultation of the pods grow, anyone know how to make these?

StirCrazy
02-23-2003, 07:47 PM
I have heard of people building "pod piles" that are supposdely good for helping the popultation of the pods grow, anyone know how to make these?

they are a bunch of small rubble rock piled up so that the fish cand other pod eating critters can;t get into them to eat the pods..

I agree that a 3" sand bed would be better for you also, I have a 5 to 6" one but I also have a 25" tall tank, at 18" I think it would be nicer to keep at least 15" of tank for water.

Steve