PDA

View Full Version : Sand or no sand?

Rene
02-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi, I'm new to this saltwater thing and I have been getting some conflicting advise. So I thought I would ask all of you your opinions. Should I put sand in my new 225 reef tank, or should I leave it glass bottom? If sand, how much?

Thanks for the help!

Whatigot
02-28-2008, 03:22 PM
you might as well ask people which way they vote...
It's always an issue of contention, it should depend on your plans for filtration, maintenance and aesthetics.
Many people swear by the benefits of a deep sand bed while others vehemently hate them and the maintenance they can entail.

not very helpfull I know, but this is what I learned when I was asking this same question on this same forum:razz:

cheech
02-28-2008, 03:41 PM
I'd go sand, shallow bed, (1-2"), and keep your DSB for a seperate fuge.

Not that there's anything wrong with a sandless tank, I just think they don't look good!

BMW Rider
02-28-2008, 03:47 PM
If you like how sand makes the tank look, then add sand. If you like the look of bare glass on the bottom, then don't add sand. Both methods have their strong and weak points for maintenance. True deep sand beds are problematic and little used anymore. Most sand beds are just for aesthectics or to provide realistic habitat for certain livestock such as pistol shrimp, gobies, jawfish etc.

digital-audiophile
02-28-2008, 03:52 PM
I had really thought about going BB but decided in the end that I really like the way sand looks. As long as you have snails/crabs/sea stars/fish that clean your sandbed you can't go wrong.

Whatigot
02-28-2008, 04:01 PM
I'd go sand, shallow bed, (1-2"), and keep your DSB for a seperate fuge.

Not that there's anything wrong with a sandless tank, I just think they don't look good!

why>?

hillbillyreefer
02-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Try searching sand beds. That should keep you busy reading for the next day or two. There are more opinions on sand than just about any other subject out there.

I tried to make my new 33gal reef tank bare bottom, that lasted about 2 weeks. My wife and I both hated the look. Added some caribsea white sand and we both like the look. The first things into the tank after LR were sand sifting critters. Mostly nassarius snails, and a strawberry conch. It's been white and clean for a couple months. In the morning there are tracks everywhere through the sand, the little guys are busy at night.

The pros and cons of each are factors you need to take into account. In the end you will decide based on which look you like the best.

If you can't decide, start out BB if you don't like that add some sand. As for how much I don't want to stat that debate. I started out with a level 2" bed, now with current patterns it varies from 1/2" to close to 4" in some places.

HTH a little. Good luck with your research.

Brent F
02-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Yes, there have been some long discussions on this. What I got from it is deep sand beds are nt recommended because we can't get the livestock required by them here.

Bare bottom is easier to maintain but go shallow sandbed if you prefer the look and are willing to do a little more maintenance.

I have three tanks. One bare bottom and two very shallow substrate.

Whatigot
02-28-2008, 07:15 PM
on that note, what exactly are the livestock we can't get that are required?
or did you mean only unavailable in alberta?

cheech
02-28-2008, 07:43 PM
why>?

well, 6 inches of sand in the main tank, I feel, takes too much space and isn't as pleasing to the eye. And, I think there might be too much flow in the main tank.

Reefer Rob
02-29-2008, 12:09 AM
You need to spend some time here (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22060)

kwirky
02-29-2008, 01:59 AM
I'd say don't have sand in your tank for the first 2 months. All sorts of stuff will be falling off your rock as it's dieing off and it'll make your sandbed look like garbage. Add the sand once all the algae blooms your tank will go through have finished. Bare bottom tanks look ugly to some people but you don't have to run it bare forever, only during initial instable period.

Rene
03-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Thanks for all the advise. I decided to go with a shallow sand bed (1-2 inches)

I think I just like the look of the sand. I don't mind the bit of extra work. I enjoy working on the tank.