PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Shrimp Question

Floop70
02-28-2008, 06:13 AM
I just got a small green mantis shrimp. I *think* it's a Gonodactylellus viridis (http://www.stomatopod.com/categories.php?cat=7) but I don't really know for sure. It looks pretty much like the green one. It's about 1 inch long. Since I got it last night it seems to be laying on it's back and kicking it's feet. Hasn't moved since I put it in. Do they do this when they are stressed? Might it come around?

It's currently in probably a 1.5 - 2 gallon "tank" with a piece of live rock and some sand. There is currently no filtration but I do have an air stone in there to provide oxygen for it. I would likely buy a larger tank (5 - 10 gal or so) but I don't really want to put up the cash until I think he's gonna live.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bruce

Moogled
02-28-2008, 07:01 AM
Sounds like it's in bad shape. If you find it curling up and moving its swimmerettes, that's usually a good indicator that it's not going to make it.

Did you find him in your main display? Alot of these guys require acclimation since they're pretty sensitive.

Floop70
02-28-2008, 12:52 PM
It actually came from afriend of a friends tank. :D The LR is pretty new as I believe the tank was just setup in January or so.

justinl
02-28-2008, 03:48 PM
leave the lights off, stop checking up on it it every five minutes (once or twice a day is fine), don't try to feed, and pray. that's about all you can do. the key here is to give it the leastamount of disturbance possible.

you probably realize this, but for long term success, it will need at least a 5 gal tank. a bucket with LR and an airstone will not suffice.

did you acclimate? inverts are especially sensitive to quick changes in salinity.

edit: if you can get a few decent pics, i can try to ID the species for ya.

Floop70
02-29-2008, 11:24 PM
He seems to be doing a bit better now. He's at least up on his feet and moved into the rock sometime today. Last night I ended up submerging his lil home (http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/reptiles/product.cfm?CAT=31&SUBCAT=3103&PROD_ID=03022600010101) in my main tank thinking the water quality and temp would be better and more consistent. We are heading to Saskatoon tomorrow so i hope to get a new home for him. Either a 5 or 10 gallon tank depending on what I find.

Yes, I acclimated. Probably better that I normally do even. :D And no... I was not bugging him every 5 minutes. I was probably only checked him out 4 - 5 times that day. :lol: I'll try to get a pic once he's settled into his new home and doing well. Thanks for the replies.

justinl
03-01-2008, 12:16 AM
And no... I was not bugging him every 5 minutes. I was probably only checked him out 4 - 5 times that day.

lol, I usually tell people that because, more often than not, we have an urge to constantly know how our new baby is doin... not gonna lie to you, Ive been guilty of it before. :biggrin: