PDA

View Full Version : 6line wrasse and sexy shrimp?

Keri
02-28-2008, 04:52 AM
Is this combo a possibility?
I have 2 sexy shrimp in my 65gallon that spend most of their time in the colt or hammer and I would REALLY like a 6line wrasse (or anything that MIGHT eat flatworms lol) and I've heard they are a "monitor with shrimp". Is this correct, or a generalization of all wrasse?
Anyone have any experience with this combo?

Thanks to any who respond!!

fkshiu
02-28-2008, 05:27 AM
I've had a 6-line with a couple of sexy shrimp in my 135 for a few months now. So far no disappearing shrimp. But the 6-line isn't full grown yet.

Keri
02-28-2008, 05:31 AM
Yeah... I was thinking of starting small (like you have) and hoping he never realizes he's grown big enough to eat them. thanks for the reply :)

I could just catch them and put them elsewhere but I don't imagine catching them in 80lbs of rock will be fun....

untamed
02-28-2008, 05:43 AM
I purchased a six line for my old tank hoping it would eat flatworms...it didn't. I had a number of sexy shrimp in the tank and it also left those alone.

Keri
02-28-2008, 05:53 AM
yeah, I doubt it will really eat the FW's but it's worth a shot, I get frustrated siphoning them out all the time. :biggrin:

Kryten
02-28-2008, 07:55 PM
My green wrasse killed my sexy shrimp, for what that's worth, not sure how comparable those 2 wrasses are.

mark
02-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Had peppermints and cleaners with a sixline and no problems.

Jenndarlin
02-28-2008, 09:20 PM
My yellow canary wrasse and my lunar wrasse were fine with one of my shrimp. The shrimp is no longer around but it wasn't because of the wrassess... not sure how comparable they are to a six line. I strayed away from the six line as my friend has one that we call the "bulldozer" he destroys EVERYTHING!!!! I'm in love with my Lunar wrasse, last night he actually let me pet him.....he's really active but he isn't distructive and the colors are phenomenal....

On another note, last night i happilly watched my fairly new Copperbanded Butterfly (2 weeks in the tank today!!!) eat a flatworm and at this point he/she has consumed ALL of the the flatworms and aptasia!!! (I had a gazillion flatworms and only 3 little aptasia's)

Keri
02-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Beautiful wrasse picture!!

A copperband, eh? Hmmm....might get a little too big for the 65 gallon but maybe for a bit? I've got 3 tiny aiptasia's I can't reach because they're either in the rockwork or ON a coral....I wonder...

Chowder
02-28-2008, 10:12 PM
I have a sixline wrasse. It lived with three sexy shrimp for about 6 months. I got a good deal on sexy shrimp one day and got 5 more. Acclimatted them and let them go in my tank. The sixline had one of them in his mouth before they even reached the bottom. The next day I had zero sexy shrimp. So in my case yes six line wrasses eat sexy shrimp. I have also hated my sixline ever since but because he is to smart for any trap I have not caught him yet. He does by the way eat flat worms and did notice a decline in my zoa nudies when I had them. If you can catch my sixline you can have him.:twised:

Chowder
02-28-2008, 10:18 PM
I also have heard that some psychedelic mandrin fish (spotted mandrin) eat flat worms. Have not ever witnessed this but I have heard.

Jenndarlin
02-28-2008, 10:40 PM
I had one copperband before that never touched any of the flatworms or aptasia but this one thinks their chocolate!!!!!!

Good luck with catching that wrasse Chris. The 6 line bulldozer I mentioned above was only finally caught when my friend took down and emptied her last system. She did not put him in her new tank but also gave him away to a good home once she caught him....lol.....

Thank god I havn't yet had any problems catching fish...I know my day will come where 2 minutes with the net is not going to do the trick...i'm knocking on wood (my head) as we speak...

Chowder
02-28-2008, 10:45 PM
I plan on setting up a bigger tank this year and that is when he will be caught. And I too will give him to somebody then with a caution note.

super7
02-29-2008, 01:06 AM
My sixline ate a peppermint shrimp. But he hasn't eaten my pair of my cleaner shrimp.

Marlin65
02-29-2008, 01:50 AM
My yellow canary wrasse and my lunar wrasse were fine with one of my shrimp. The shrimp is no longer around but it wasn't because of the wrassess... not sure how comparable they are to a six line. I strayed away from the six line as my friend has one that we call the "bulldozer" he destroys EVERYTHING!!!! I'm in love with my Lunar wrasse, last night he actually let me pet him.....he's really active but he isn't distructive and the colors are phenomenal....

On another note, last night i happilly watched my fairly new Copperbanded Butterfly (2 weeks in the tank today!!!) eat a flatworm and at this point he/she has consumed ALL of the the flatworms and aptasia!!! (I had a gazillion flatworms and only 3 little aptasia's)

I have a friend who had one of those lunar's and it would smash his snails and crabs against the glass to get them out.
It was about 4" though.

Keri
02-29-2008, 03:45 AM
I have a sixline wrasse. It lived with three sexy shrimp for about 6 months. I got a good deal on sexy shrimp one day and got 5 more. Acclimatted them and let them go in my tank. The sixline had one of them in his mouth before they even reached the bottom. The next day I had zero sexy shrimp. So in my case yes six line wrasses eat sexy shrimp. I have also hated my sixline ever since but because he is to smart for any trap I have not caught him yet. He does by the way eat flat worms and did notice a decline in my zoa nudies when I had them. If you can catch my sixline you can have him.:twised:

ha ha.... well, I won't be adding more, they just got upgraded along with everything else from my 8 gallon to the 65 ;) Why do you hate your 6line so much?

Chowder
02-29-2008, 04:09 AM
He ate all 8 sexy shrimp in my tank in one night and he can be a bully sometimes. The shrimp thing really ****ed me off.

Keri
02-29-2008, 04:56 AM
yeah, that'll do it

WhoPoopWrasse
03-08-2008, 12:15 AM
He ate all 8 sexy shrimp in my tank in one night and he can be a bully sometimes. The shrimp thing really ****ed me off.

Hi everyone! New here but not a noobie :smile:
My sixline hasn't touched anything yet but then again he's smaller than my shrimp :mrgreen:
Louise

Keri
03-08-2008, 05:54 AM
After all that... I picked up a yellow wrasse today! *crosses fingers that he won't eat the shrimp* He's very small.