PDA

View Full Version : My first ro/di..I STILL need help =/

sharuq1
02-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Ok I bought an aquasafe ro/di unit recently and I think it is put together right. Problem is most of the fittings seem to be leaking because I really don't know what I am doing. I am not handy especially not when it comes to anything even resembling plumbing or tubes with water in them :lol: :redface:

Can anyone pretty please give me a clue here?

mark
02-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Where's the leaks.

If it's from where the tube goes into the fittings, is the end cut at 90 and inserted all the way in?

From where the JG fittings screw into the membrane etc, are the fittings tight, Teflon tape or plumbers dope used?

From the canister chambers, o-ring and seat free fr debris, screwed down tight?

Matt
02-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Also, if you bought the kit, you'll have a pressure meter as part of it. What are the pressure readings coming out of the first supply line, and the last output line? If it is above 75, you may have the devil's own time stopping leaks -- I know I did.

christyf5
02-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Teflon tape on the threads and push those hoses all the way in :)

sharuq1
02-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Hmmm....mine is leaking both from the threads and the place the hose goes in. Tried silicone on one screw-in place but of course that did not work.

On top of that my fiance thought it would be a good idea to depressurize the tank a bit even though it says in the instructions in bold to NOT mess with it *insert exasperation here*

The pressure meter....I have no idea how to use it. There does not seem to be any place to put it on the unit. Do I unhook the orange hose and stick it on there a moment and then try and get it off again whilst water sprays in my face or what? lol...:lol: :lol: :redface: :redface: If someone could post a pic of how and where to use it that would be great.

The screw in fittings--can I use epoxy or something very permanent on them or will I then be unable to change my filters?

Myka
02-29-2008, 01:32 AM
You likely haven't pushed the tubing into the JG (John Guest) fittings far enough. Sometimes it takes a fair push.

mark
02-29-2008, 01:46 AM
If it's the threads can use plumber dope or there's thin teflon tape that's used on plastic parts. The hose make sure the ends aren't at an angle and pushed all the way in.

The gauge can just be tee'd between the source and the filter, would need to buy a tee fitting.

For the screw in filters, if the o-ring is in place, clean and the seats free of debris, there should be no reason is should leak after being tightened by hand. Give a good twist though.

Bladder, can be charged up with a bike pump.

You got the instructions (http://www.aquasafecanada.com/Install%20Instructions.htm)?

ElGuappo
02-29-2008, 02:45 AM
If you are going to use teflon tape make sure you apply in the opposite direction the threads are in so you dont take the tape off while trying to "screw together".

sharuq1
02-29-2008, 03:00 AM
The gauge can just be tee'd between the source and the filter, would need to buy a tee fitting.

where could I find a t-fitting?

Thanks for the help. I am going to have my fiance try and fix it with your suggestions. (If I touch it, surely it will flood the entire house or something due to my ub3r l33t diy skillz :lol: :lol: *insert sarcasm here*)

Bladder, can be charged up with a bike pump.
A bike pump? I would never have thought of that in a million years. How much pressure should be in there? Thanks Mark!

I think the "instructions for dummies" should be dumbed down to "instructions for Homer Simpson's" maybe then I would understand them, lol :lol:

sharuq1
03-01-2008, 03:23 AM
Okay, we teflon taped the screw in dealies and re-cut some of the lines. Looks like it isn't leaking now *crosses fingers*.

How the heck do you flush the ro membrane? The intructions on the site have it with this little valve that the new version does not have. The one I have has a metal turny valve thing. I don't know if I am supposed to turn it so there is lots of water coming out of the yellow tube (waste tube) or none to flush the membrane. Little help? Here is a pic of that thing. http://www.aquasafecanada.com/New%20Variable%20Flow%20Resistor.JPG

Also, how much water should be coming from the waste line in normal operation? Drips? A trickle? A steady flow?? So far the tds coming in is 240 and coming out of the ro line is 43. But what is wierd is the tds coming out of the waste water line is 230?? I'm confused...:neutral:

Also, shouldn't the tds coming out of the ro line be like 0? This thing is brand new.