PDA

View Full Version : Well hear is one

Skimmerking
02-21-2003, 02:53 PM
OK For you good reefer's out there. :P
How big of a DSB would i need to have to house say a 92 gal corner tank ,The reason I'm asking is i just wanna have a little bite of CC on the bottom of the tank and use a sump with a DSB. In there so how big will i have to have the Sump.
Or can i get along with having :lol: a refugium instread of a DSB in the sump ...

StirCrazy
02-21-2003, 03:43 PM
How big of a sump can you go? when you think about it a remote sand bed isn't as efective as one would be in the main tank.. you feed in the main tank so all the detrus is accumalated there and not transported to the remote sand bed and sence the big part of the sand bed is its ability to host critters that conduct the fast and efficient breakdown/removal of detrus this won;t realy happen. it will still breakdown nitrates and such but to be totaly effective in this matter I would expect you would need a bed at least as large as the main tank.. Personaly I would go larger if I had the room..

this is just all opinion of course and I am sure others will sugess different routs. this is only based on my reading and understanding of the workings of a sand bed to this point of time, and some one who has actualy ran a tank with a remote bed might have some different experances that will benifit both of us.

Steve

TANGOMAN
02-21-2003, 03:57 PM
I cannot offer advice based on experience but I did read in Goemans "live sand secrets" booklet that a remote sand bed as Steve referred to it as, requires a sump "footprint" of at least 3/4 that of the main tank to be effective.
I'm with Steve on his theory but if going "remote" is in your plans, this theory may be worth consideration ?