PDA

View Full Version : Drilling tank

C&C
02-21-2003, 12:57 PM
I am looking at drilling my 130 Gallon glass tank. I would like a few opinions about where to drill it for overflows, and do you DIY the overflows or buy them.

What size should I have drilled and what Dia pipe to use?

What type of return pump should I use?

I don't think that I want to drill for returns but I could be pursuaded any thoughts?

My sump is approximately 40 gallons (plexiglass)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks chris

trilinearmipmap
02-21-2003, 02:12 PM
I had the same question. In addition, should there be two holes drilled in the back wall to allow for a closed loop?

Skimmerking
02-21-2003, 02:43 PM
WEll it's all personel pick .I beieve in having 2 holes on a larger system for the flow and greater turn over rate.

And i think its better to have the bottom drain for the pipes you would get less gurgle out of a durso pipe than a back over flow due to you can always adjust the pipe on the bottom tank that is drilled .

the size of the pipe depends on the pumps you have to return the water to the main tank. Say you have a 3/4 outlet you would have a 3/4 return on the pipe

Inref : to a closed loop you can have 4 holes if you like, you dont really need to have holes drilld you can have them hanging on the back. When they are drilled they just look neater thats all IMO

With a back you have only one option and have to go with it. and you can only adjust a bit.

Or you can go with a H.O.B over flow tha nyou dont have the worries of drilling the tank.

But with my experience i have seen on my buddy's tank that over flow was loud, maybe it was just me .

OH Ya If you go with 2 holes you will have a less chance of having a hole close up ,maybe due to a snail ,I have had that happen to me on my 120 i have a few snails clog it lucky, i had 2 durso's

HOPE THIS HELPS

ree-fready
02-23-2003, 12:07 AM
I have a 135 gal. as you do with the over flow drilled in the middle of the bottom close to the back wall. I wish I had thought it through a bit more because I would have done it diferently. When I move I will be buying a new tank with the overs and the inny`s drilled in the back for many reasons one of which is neatness inside and outside the tank. I have a overflow box around my down pipe that just takes up way to much room that could be put to a much better use. Repost if you want more reasons.

C&C
02-24-2003, 02:25 PM
I am planning the overflows, one on each side in the bottom.

I am also looking for info on how to make the overflows and the stand pipes. (Sizes would help).

As far as the return I'm not sure if I want to drill the back of the tank, I am somewhat worried about how to stop siphining during a power outage?

Any ideas comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

C&C
03-31-2003, 04:30 PM
Can anybody shed some light on the above?