PDA

View Full Version : Majestic has pop-eye?

untamed
02-24-2008, 05:03 AM
My Majestic angel has now fought his way through the weeks when fish struggle and is now eating well. Unfortunately, his left eye has been swollen and cloudy for 2 weeks now. The swelling has receeded, but the eye is completely cloudy & white.

I know that this is treatable, but with him doing so well in the tank I'm inclined to let him beat it on his own. Besides, catching him for hospital tanking would likely be extremely difficult.

Has anyone ever treated a fish with antibiotics by feeding them directly to the affected fish?

tang daddy
02-25-2008, 01:09 AM
I don't know about antibiotics but when my juve french had pop eye slash cloud eye I treated it with prazi pro it was gone in less than 5 days although I am not sure if it's reef safe?

super7
02-28-2008, 04:13 AM
I don't think prazi pro is reef safe, actually I am pretty sure it isn't. Is the fish maybe easier to catch at night.

untamed
02-28-2008, 05:48 AM
No, he hides under some major rockwork at night.

At this point, I would say that the eye looks like it can't possibly recover. It is nearly solid white. Doesn't look swollen so much, just white.

His behaviour continues to be normal...even good. He's as good an eater as can be expected with one good eye.

I had a yellow tail damsel lose an eye many years ago. (don't know why, it was a sudden injury) He went on to live another 8 or 9 years with one eye.

Who knows...maybe I'll name him "Cy" (clops).

super7
02-28-2008, 05:52 AM
Too bad, he'll look like the tough guy in the tank, I guess.

untamed
03-02-2008, 05:23 AM
The eye looked much better as of this morning. That's encouraging. He may yet keep this eye.

super7
03-02-2008, 04:16 PM
thats good.

christyf5
03-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Good to hear, keep us posted :biggrin:

Tom R
03-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi Brad

I have found that Angels are very susceptible to pop eye. They seem to get by either scraping their eye against something or water quality. I use my angels as an early warning signal for a water change. My Majestic's eye will glaze over with a grey film as my water gets older and as soon as I do a water change it clears up. I know that this observation would not hold up in the scientific community but I believe and anything that makes me do a water change is not all that bad.

Tom R