PDA

View Full Version : phyto&rotifers

regmes
02-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can find a phyto &rotifer culture kit in B.C ?

Starry
02-24-2008, 02:15 AM
order some DT's phyto from J&L. I think ocean aquatics may carry it as well.

Interior_Reef
02-24-2008, 02:41 AM
i just sold my last 2 bottles, but can bring more in.

regmes
02-24-2008, 04:11 AM
So, this means that I dont have to get the starter kit, I can actualy start my culture from Vividreef live rotifers and DT's phyto? But what do you feed youre phyto so it can grow?

Starry
02-24-2008, 05:59 AM
http://www.melevsreef.com/phytoplankton.html

regmes
02-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks Starry. Very useful info, gonna try it. Especialy, the one that you dont need to order over the net(DT'S and miracle grow). Do you have any idea if you can start a culture of rotifers from Vividreef live rotifers or is this another one that you have to order in?

Starry
02-25-2008, 03:27 AM
I would imagine any live culture would work. I havent tried it yet, but plan to, as I wanna get my pod population WAY up before I add any fish to my tank. I belive Sick Lid sells cultures as well, he's in Kamloops.

nanoreefer
02-25-2008, 09:36 AM
i culture phyto useing the miracle grow(5ml a 2l pop bottle)and a starter culture from i think vividreef? ive had bottles go for almost two months and i have only had afew crashes, make sure you keep things clean and that the airline going into the bottles dosent get cloged with gunk and stop, also shake the bottles every day as a lot of phyto settles to the bottom.

PoonTang
02-25-2008, 01:21 PM
I remember reading somewhere that DT's doesnt make a good starter culture. Can't remember why but alot of people were having troubles getting it to grow at all. There are starter cultures available or in Canada or you could order it from Florida Aquafarms.