PDA

View Full Version : Click! Click!

Starry
02-23-2008, 02:40 AM
I've been hearing clicking sounds in my tank for about a month. Just now I caught a quick look at the cklicker. It's about 1/4 inch long and lives in a hole in one of my rocks. I got the impression it was darkly colored, but before I got a good look at it, it clicked twice and dove into the hole. None of my hermits/snails are or have gone missing. I also dont feed my tank as there are no fish in it. Should I give this rock a dip in 1.032 SG water and see what pops out or am I safe assuming its a small pistol shrimp? I have some very pretty dusters on this rock so dont wanna dry it out or anything like that.

Marlin65
02-23-2008, 03:12 AM
Sounds like one to me or mantis. I would take it out but up to you.
It would explain why your snails and crabs are gone.
Put it in you QT tank and see if you can get it out of the rock.

Marlin65
02-23-2008, 03:15 AM
Sorry just noticed you still have your crabs and snails.
Must be to small if it is only a 1/4"

Skimmerking
02-23-2008, 03:40 AM
funny i have been hearing a click,click noise in my tank, and I know i have no mantis since i have had my rock for quite some time ,, it could be a snail click on the glass , but i dont know what it could be...

justinl
02-23-2008, 03:50 AM
if it's not causing any problems in your tank, then why even trying to remove it... it will be a bigger headache than it's worth. do a google search for a pistol shrimp and a mantis shrimp. notice how different they are and let us know what you think yours is.

Starry
02-23-2008, 05:48 AM
Problem is I only got a quick glimpse of it from about 4 feet away. It definatly made the noise I have been hearing. A loud click or pop. Definatly not a snail tapping or heater coming on.
Anyhow, have moved the rock its holding out in into my makeup water tank for now. Will try the bottle trap over the weekend and if no luck, will hyper-salinate said rock. The main reason I'm concerned in that I have read Mantis are notorius for cracking glass, heaters, ect... If it turns out to be a little pistol shrimp, great. If not....

untamed
02-23-2008, 03:39 PM
If it is a mantis, it is probably harmless.

Myka
02-23-2008, 04:36 PM
funny i have been hearing a click,click noise in my tank, and I know i have no mantis since i have had my rock for quite some time ,, it could be a snail click on the glass , but i dont know what it could be...

HAHA! It doesn't matter how long your tank has been up and running. I only discovered a mantis in my 33g after it was up and running for over a year!!! The bugger is still in there...

Okguy
02-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Trev, since the tank is still new, with no livestock in it, I would pull the rock and at least see what it is. I had my original cleanup crew and it's replacement desimated by 3 rogue crabs. Or keep the rock accessible and move it into the sump once it's set up.

HTH

justinl
02-23-2008, 06:31 PM
The main reason I'm concerned in that I have read Mantis are notorius for cracking glass, heaters, ect... If it turns out to be a little pistol shrimp, great. If not....

There is a kernel of truth to this but it is not something you will need to worry about. The only mantids who can shatter glass are the big guns like large O. scyllarus or G. chiragra. The only mantids i have ever even heard of hitching in are the "little guns" who couldn't possibly muster up the force to crack glass. Unless your mantis was 5 inches longer or more, glass isn't a big deal.

have you considered keeping the mantis? they are really great aquarium pets and most are hardy enough to be near bullet proof.

if you really want to remove the thing read this.
http://www.stomatopod.com/forum_v3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71

untamed
02-23-2008, 06:48 PM
When I started, I think my tank had at least 6 mantis. Now, I haven't seen one in a long time and I'm concerned that they didn't survive. I don't know why they would have perished...there should have been lots to eat. It is also possible that they've just found good private homes. They are pretty secretive when given the chance.

I still hear lots of clicks, but that could be pistol shrimps as I know there were plenty of them also. I had a pistol shrimp that was about 6mm long in a measuring cup when it "snapped" and I could not believe how loud it was from such a tiny guy. My point being that if you hear a snap, it could be a pistol shrimp that is so small you would never believe it.

Starry
03-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Finally saw the little guy tonight after all this time!! It's a wee pistol shrimp about 1" long. Is there such a thing as a blue banded pistol shrimp? Can only find pics and info on red banded. Wanted to get a high-fin banded goby anyhow, think they would pair up?

Myka
03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Some pistol shrimps gets REALLY big, and start to kill inverts and fish. I'd try to catch him, and banish him to the sump.

untamed
03-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Some pistol shrimps gets REALLY big, and start to kill inverts and fish. I'd try to catch him, and banish him to the sump.

Why not banish him AFTER or IF he shows signs of getting big? It seems that too often people are advised to remove things that could be harmless just because a related species might actually do something that some people might find problematic. I find these critters interesting and valuable. It would take a lot more than a few missing hermit crabs for me to banish a critter.

Geewiz...I just recently bought a pistol shrimp and added it to my tank on purpose. I'm disappointed that they are so shy and I rarely get to see him.

untamed
03-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Finally saw the little guy tonight after all this time!! It's a wee pistol shrimp about 1" long. Is there such a thing as a blue banded pistol shrimp? Can only find pics and info on red banded. Wanted to get a high-fin banded goby anyhow, think they would pair up?

It is pretty hit'n miss on pairing up a pistol and a goby. They can be pretty specific and there would be a chance that the smaller one would end up being eaten by the larger.

Starry
03-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Odds are I'd never be able to catch him anyhow. Hell thats the first time I even got a good look at him. However, if he got large enough to do any harm, he would be big enough to be limited in hiding spots making him easier to catch. Sure is a pretty little thing. Clear with blue bands,

Myka
03-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Why not banish him AFTER or IF he shows signs of getting big? It seems that too often people are advised to remove things that could be harmless just because a related species might actually do something that some people might find problematic.

I don't like them, and I'd rather not take the chance. There's nothing wrong with living in a sump...if you're a pistol shrimp or a crab. :biggrin:

justinl
03-26-2008, 07:05 AM
I agree with Brad. oddball inverts RULE. I hate seeing people who go through Hell and back to extract harmless critters just because they dont know any better. I especially cringe when they needlessly kill the critters. I can understand exterminating aiptasia or hydroids but i would rejoice if i found a pistol (there's some very cool biology to them). put it this way, i have two tanks. both have a mantis in them :biggrin: